The effect of workload on the diurnal variations of blood pressure among teachers (Age 35-60 yrs) of Kashmir University, India
- 1Department of Home Science, Government College for Women, Baramulla, India
Res. J. Family, Community and Consumer Sci., Volume 5, Issue (5), Pages 1-4, July,27 (2017)
Lifestyle factors are crucial determinants of hypertension. With the growing concept of modern lifestyles and increasing prosperity, prevalence of high blood pressures is on rise, studies have shown that about 60% population of Kashmir is hypertensive and lifestyle is an important risk factor for it. Hypertension thus becomes an increasingly important clinical problem. To study the prevalence of high blood pressure among the teachers of Kashmir University (age group 35+). And to check the diurnal variations in blood pressure due to workload. 106 participants (age 35+ to 60 years) from Kashmir University undertaken for the study were examined using both questionnaires as well as monitored twice a day (before and after work) for their blood pressures to check the diurnal variations. This study was a case- control study. The analysis of the data was done using t-test, &
- Robinson Corinne and Corinne Robinson H. (1986)., Normal and Therapeutic Nutrition, Macmillan., New York, 547.
- Ezzati Majid, Lopez Alan D., Rodgers Anthony, Vander Hoorn Stephen, Murray Christopher J.L., Comparative Risk Assessment Collaborating Group (2002)., Selected major risk factors and global regional burden of disease., Lancet, 360(9343), 1347-1360.
- Park K. and Park K. (2011)., Epidemiology of communicable diseases., textbook of Preventive and Social Medicine, 21, 244-250.
- Kathleen Mahan L. and Escott-Stump Sylvia (2004)., Krause, W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 11, 900-916
- Blumenthal J.A., Thyrum E.T. and Siegel W.C. (1995)., Contribution of job strain, job status and marital status to laboratory and ambulatory blood pressure in patient with mild hypertension., Journal of Psychosocial Research, 39(2), 133-144.
- Becher H. (2001)., Classification of smoking behaviour In: Boreham R and Shaw A (eds). Smoking, drinking and drug use among young people in England in 2000 Department of Health on behalf of the Controller of Her Majesty, sections 2.1-2.2. [Cited 27 November 2001]. Available from: www.archive.official-documents.co.uk/document/ doh/sddyp/sddyp03.htm
- Bharathi A.V., Kurpad A.V., Thomas T., Yusuf S., Saraswathi G. and Vaz M. (2008)., Development of food frequency questionnaires and a nutrient database for the Prospective Urban and Rural Epidemiological (PURE) pilot study in South India: Methodological issues., Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 17, 178-185.
- Bhat N.A., Kamili M.A. and Allaqband G.Q. (2002)., Hypertension in south Kashmir., Indian Practitioner, 55, 209-215.
- Brandy K.D., Jennifer B. and Ihab H. (2006)., The impact of lifestyle behaviour on hypertension awareness, treatment and control in a south eastern population., The American Journal of Medicine, 332(4), 211-215.
- Cohen S., Kamarck T. and Mermelstein R. (1983)., A global measure of perceived stress., J. Health Soc.Behav, 24(4), 385-396.
- Ferrara L.A., Raimondi A. Sonia, d, Olive oil and reduced need for antihypertensive medication., Arch Intern Med, 160(6), 837-842.
- Haddy F.J. (2006)., Role of dietary salt in hypertension., Life Sci, 79(17), 1585-1592.
- Hand Becky (2012)., Healthy Beverage Guudelines: Drink Up But Drink The Right Stuff., Spark people 2012. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=605. 20 Dec. 2015.
- Harrington J.M. (2001)., Health effects of shift work and extended hours of work., Occup. Environ. Med, 58, 68-72.
- Kalpan G.A. and Keil J.E. (1993)., Socio economic factors and cardiovascular disease- a review of literature., Circulation, 88(4), 1973-1998.
- Kennedy A. (1999)., The urban Indian health survey., J Health and Nutr, 52, 55-62.
- Kulkarni A.T. (1998)., Hypertension a silent killer., Ind Med Gaz, 82, 73-75.
- Shills M.E., Olson J.E. and Shike M. (1994)., Modern Nutrition In Health And Disease(8th ed)., Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, 1287.