The Role of Sleep in Happiness and Wellbeing
- 1Department of Home Science, Human Development, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India
- 2Department of Home Science, Human Development, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, India
Res. J. Family, Community and Consumer Sci., Volume 4, Issue (6), Pages 1-4, August,27 (2016)
Present dayís lifestyle has greatly influenced the everyday rhythm of our life and sleep being one of them. Sleep is a state of relaxation for the mind and body, during which consciousness and volition are in abeyance and bodily functions are partly suspended. Chronic sleep deprivation like apnea, insomnia and disturbed sleep can lead to depression, hypertension and various health problems. Sleep is one of the most important aspect that affect our happiness and wellbeing. Researches shows that people who sleep well are more happy and healthy, they feel enthusiasm in their life and actively participate in all activities of daily life. They enjoy their life fully and stay fit whereas the people who donít sleep well may sense laziness and dizziness in the daily activities of daily living. They report depression, heart diseases, stress, anxiety, obesity kind of problems etc. they donít enjoy their life to its fullest and take it like a burden. Disturbed sleeps affect their family relations and spoils their happiness and wellbeing as well.
- Martin Amy, Davis Christine and Young-Mi Oh (2014)., The Effects of Total Sleep Deprivation on Basic Vital Signs And Cognitive Function In Human., Department of Zoology, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27606.
- Tufik S., Andersen M. L., Bittencourt L. R. and Mello M. T. (2009)., Paradoxical sleep deprivation: neurochemical, hormonal and behavioral alterations. Evidence from 30 years of research., An. Acad. Bras. Cienc., 81, 521-538 10.1590/S0001-37652009000300016.
- Cheung S., Esther L., Hui H., Mok D., Wan J. and Wong M. (2012)., The interplay between sleep and mood n predicting academic functioning, physical health and psychological health: a longitudinal study., Journal of Psychosomatic Reseach., 74(4), doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychores .2012.08.014.
- National Sleep Foundation (2006)., The Sleep-Wake Cycle: Its Physiology and Impact on Health., Arlington: NSF, Available at: http://sleepfoundation.org/primary-links/how-sleep-works.
- Mayo staff clinic (2014)., Sleep disorders affect our overall health, safety and quality of life., www.mayoclinic.org
- Thomas Roth (2009)., Insomnia: Definition, Prevalence, Etiology and Consequences., Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine, 3(5 Suppl.), S7-S10.
- Lawati NM, Patel SR and Ayas NT (2009)., Epidemiology, risk factors, and consequences of obstructive sleep apnea and short sleep duration., Prog Cardiovasc Dis., 51, 285-93. [PubMed].
- Blahd William (2015)., Restless leg syndrome., WebMD Medical Reference, WebMD.com.
- Jeremy (2004)., Narcolepsy., Scientific American January 2000 .http://www.sciam.com/2000/0100issue/0100siegel .html. Xyrem Study for EDS in Narcolepsy Shows Positive Data across All Measures. Pain & Central Nervous System Week January 14, National Acadmey of Sciences.
- AASM (2016)., American Academy of Sleep Medicine., Darien, Connecticut, USA, http://www.aasmnet.org/
- Ozminkowski RJ, Wang S. and Walsh J. K. (2007)., The direct and indirect costs of untreated insomnia in adults in the United States., Sleep, 30, 263-273.
- Philip P., Leger D., Taillard J., Quera-Salva M. A., Niedhammer I. and Mosqueda J. G. et al. (2006)., Insomniac complaints interfere with quality of life but not with absenteeism: Respective role of depressive and organic comorbidity., Sleep Medicine, 7, 585-591.
- Rettner R. (2015)., People Who Get a Good Night, live Science, New York, USA, http://www.livescience.com/50005-happiness-well-being-poll.html
- NSF (2016)., National Sleep Foundation., Arlington, Virginia, USA, http://sleepfoundation.org.
- NIF (2012). National institutes of health., National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, http://www.nhlbi. nih.gov., undefined
- Phillips B and Gelula R (2006)., Sleep-Wake Cycle: Its Physiology and Impact on Health., National Sleep Foundation, Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- U.S department of health and human services (2011)., Your guide to healthy sleep., National institute of health, August, NIH Publication No., 11-5271.
- Booker k (2013)., Good nightís sleep linked to happiness., Cornell Chronicle, Cornell University, http://www.news. cornell.edu/stories/2013/04/good-nights-sleep-linked-happiness.
- Mushtaq Z., Ghayas S. and Niazi S. (2014)., Happiness, Quality of Sleep and Academic Achievement among university undergraduates., Journal of the Indian Academy of Applied Psychology, 40(1), 62-69.
- Loria K. (2014)., 23 Incredible Benefits Of Getting More Sleep., Business Insider, India, http://www.businessinsider .in/23IncredibleBenefits-Of-Getting-More-sleep/articles how/45607491.cms.
- Dement WC and Vaughan CC (1999)., The Promise of Sleep., New York, Delacorte Press, 274.