A study to explore the efficacy of the English Grammar course among B.Ed. student-teachers
- 1St. Teresa’s Institute of Education, S.V. Road, Santacruz (West), Mumbai-54, Maharashtra, India
Res. J.Educational Sci., Volume 9, Issue (1), Pages 33-35, August,1 (2021)
Grammar is the foundation of English language. It has a great impact on all four skills of language viz. reading, writing, listening and speaking. Superior communication skills call for an enhanced level of grammatical proficiency. Competence in communication involves knowledge and application of appropriate grammar and language to convey accurate meaning. Thus, teaching of grammar is considered crucial and hence has found its way into syllabi and curriculum. English particularly as a second or a foreign language is difficult to acquire naturally; training and structured education are imperative. Though it is argued that some learners acquire grammar rules naturally, but it cannot be negated that accurate and fluent English Language requires learning of grammar. With this purpose, the researcher constructed an English Grammar Course and aimed at investigating its effectiveness among the B.Ed. student-teachers. The researcher used an experimental method to ascertain the effectiveness of the course in case of First and Second year B.Ed. student-teachers. The research would help to understand the effectiveness of the course and its further implementation on various stakeholders.
- UKEssays (2018)., Role of Language In Semantics And Society English Language Essay., Retrieved from https://www.ukessays.com/essays/english-language/ role-of-language-in-semantics-and-society-english-language-essay.php?vref=1 (Accessed 2020-5-22)
- Cummins, J. (2013)., Language and Identity in Multilingual Schools: Constructing Evidence-based Instructional Policies. In Managing diversity in education., Multilingual Matters. 3-26.
- Phillipson, R (2004)., English as threat or resource in continental Europe., In A Gardt and B Hüppauf (eds), Globalization and the future of German, Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter, 47–64.
- Alenezi, S. M. (2019)., Exploring explicit and Implicit grammar teaching., International Journal of Applied Linguistics and English Literature, 8(1), 104-106.
- Debata, P. K. (2013)., The Importance of Grammar in English Language Teaching: A Reassessment., Language in India, 13(5), 482-496.
- Hawkins, E. W. (1981)., Modern Languages in the Curriculum., Cambridge University Press, 32 East 57th Street, New York, NY 10022.
- Hinkel, E., & Fotos, S. (2002)., From theory to practice: a teacher, In E. Hinkel, & S. Fotos, New perspective on grammar teaching in second language classroom. New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc. pp. 1-15.
- Rowe, K (2003)., The Importance of Teacher Quality As A Key Determinant of Students’ Experiences and Outcomes of Schooling., Camberwell, Victoria: ACER
- Formplus Blog (2020)., Experimental Research Designs: Types, Examples & Methods., https://www.formpl.us/ blog/experimental-research. Retrieved on 27/11/2020
- One-Group Pretest–Posttest Design (2020)., Quasi-Experimental and single-case Designs., https://us.sagepub. com /sites/default/files/upm-binaries/89876_Chapter_13_ Quasi_Experimental_and_Single_Case_Designs.pdf Retrieved on 26-7-2020
- Swick, E., (2005)., English grammar for ESL learners., Chicago, IL: McGraw-Hill.
- Swan, M. and Walter, C. (2011)., Oxford English grammar course., Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Murphy, R. (2012)., English grammar in use., Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Alexander L. (1999)., Longman English grammar practice., New York: Longman.
- Murphy R. (1985)., English grammar in use: A self-study reference and practice book for intermediate students: with answers., Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- English Grammar Online (2020)., The fun way to learn English online., https://www.ego4u.com/ Retrieved on 13/4/2020
- English Grammar (2020)., English Grammar exercises., https://www.englishgrammar.org /exercises/. Retrieved on 11/4/2020
- Learn English Today (2020). Learn English Today lessons exercise., https://www.learn-english-today.com/lessons/ exercise-list.html. Retrieved on 19/4/2020, undefined
- MBA rendezvous (2020)., English Grammar Exercises with Answers, Explanations and Examples., https://www.mbarendezvous.com/grammar/. Retrieved on 20/4/2020