Twenty first century skills and science achievement of grade 10 students: a causal – comparative study
- 1Colegio San Agustin - Biñan, Junior High School Department, 4024 Biñan City, Philippines
- 2Technological University of the Philippines, College of Science, Manila City, Philippines
Res. J.Educational Sci., Volume 6, Issue (1), Pages 7-13, January,1 (2018)
This study determined if the 21st century skills constructs namely, digital age literacy, inventive thinking, effective communication, and high productivity were significant drivers of students’ science achievement. It utilized an exploratory, descriptive, and causal-comparative designs involving four sections of Grade 10 students enrolled in Science Grade 10, AY 2016 – 2017. Two instruments were used in the study, the 21st century Skills of Science Students (21CSSS) and the Science Achievement Test (SAT). Result revealed that majority of the Grade 10 students both male and female have an average level of 21st century skills constructs and achievement in science. Also, result showed that Digital Age Literacy (DAL) and Inventive Thinking (IT) skills significantly affect the science achievement of the students, this is significant at 0.05 level because it does not contain 1 on its confidence limit, it can be generalized onto the entire population of Grade 10 students. However, the sex (male or female) is found not to be significant to science achievement, but the effect of it was kept because of the goal of the study is to control for initial differences in sex (male or female). Lastly, the science achievement of the high achieving students (HAS) and low achieving students (LAS) directly affected by their DAL skill with an odd ratio estimate of 0.877 and IT skill with an odd ratio estimate of 0.734. Thus, the science achievement of HAS and LAS is explained by their DAL and IT skills.
- Osman K., Soh T. and Arsad N. (2010)., Development and Validation of the Malaysian 21stCentury Skills Instrument (M-21CSI) For Science Students., Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 9, 599-603.
- National Assessment of Educational Progress – NAEP. (2005)., The Nation’s Report Card: Science., Retrieved on August 8, 2008, from http://nationsreportcard.gov/ science_2005
- The Manila Times (2014)., Science Education Realities., Retrieved on May 28, 2014 from http://www. manilatimes.net/ science-education-realities/100096/
- Center for Educational Measurement (CEM) Result of Colegio San Agustin – Biňan, Academic Year 2015 – 2016., undefined, undefined
- UNESCO. (2010)., Current Challenges In Basic Science Education., UNESCO Education Sector 7, Place de Fontenoy 75352 Paris 07 SP, France.
- NCREL and Metiri Group (2008)., enGauge 21stCentury Skills: Literacy in the digital age., Napierville, IL and Los Angeles, CA: NCREL and Metiri.
- Arciaga V., Concepcion M. and Tondo J. (2016)., ABC-Teach Model in The 21st Century Skills of Secondary Biology Teachers., International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), ISSN (Online): 2319-7064, Index Copernicus Value (2013): 6.14 Impact Factor (2015): 6.391.
- Department of Education (2015)., Education for All 2015 National Review Report: Philippines.,
- Dasas L. and Prudente M. (2013)., Integrating 21st Century Skills inan Understanding by Design Pedagogical Plan (UBD21) on Life Energy and Processes., Presented at the Research Congress 2013 De La Salle University Manila. Retrieved on March 9, 2013 from http://www.dlsu.edu.ph/ conferences/dlsu_research_congress/2013/_pdf/LLI/LLI-II-011.pdf
- Schumacker R. and Lomax R. (2010)., A Beginner, Routledge.
- Montgomery D.C. (2001)., Design an Analysis of Experiments (5th ed.)., John Wiley & Sons, Inc, New York, 64-65.
- Agresti A. (2007)., An Introduction to Categorical Data Analysis (2nd ed.)., New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Taskin N. and Kandemir B. (2010)., The affect of computer supported simulation applications on the academic achievements and attainments of the seventh grade students on teaching of science., Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 9, 1379-1384.
- Pheeraphan N. (2013)., Enhancement of The Twenty First Century Skills forThai Higher Education by Integration ofICT in Classroom., Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 103, 365-373. Retrieved on December 14, 2013 from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042813037919
- Bayrak B. and Bayram H. (2010)., The Effect of Computer Aided Teaching Method On the Students’ Academic Achievement In The Science And Technology Course., Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 9, 235-238. Retrieved on January 26, 2011 from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042810022470
- Hassanc A., Osmana K. and Hamid S. (2009)., Standard Setting: Inserting Domain of The 21st Century Thinking Skills into The Existing Science Curriculum in Malaysia., Procedia Social and Behavioral Sciences, 1(1), 2573-2577.
- Wan Husin W., Arsad N., Othman O, Halim L., Rasul M., Osman K. and Iksan Z. (2016)., Fostering Students’ 21st Century Skills Through Project Oriented Problem Based Learning (POPBL)., Asia-Pacific Forum on Science Learning and Teaching, 17(1), Article 3. Retrieved on June 28, 2016 from https://www.eduhk.hk/apfslt/ download/ v17_issue1_files/fadzilah.pdf