Probing the Graduate Studentsí Conceptual understanding in Mechanics
- 1 College of Teacher Education, Laguna State Polytechnic University, Sta. Cruz, Laguna, Philippines
Res. J.Educational Sci., Volume 4, Issue (8), Pages 1-9, October,1 (2016)
Spiral progression in Science and Mathematics subjects under the K-12 curriculum have been implemented in the Philippines wherein teachers should teach Physics subject even if it was not their field of specialization. Deficient knowledge of teachers and students in science still evident as based from several researches. This study aimed to explore the understanding of Teachersí concept in Physics specifically in mechanics. Qualitative data gathering was done through content analysis of the respondentsí written answers on the problem sets given to them. Fifteen graduate students who were enrolled in Master of Arts in Education major in Science and Technology, LSPU Sta. Cruz Campus, were the respondents of the study. Results revealed that most respondents have misconceptions on the selected topics in Mechanics specifically in acceleration and constant velocity. It was also found that 14 out of 15 of the respondents have lack of conceptual understanding in at least one of the conceptual questions given to them.
- Handhika J, Cari C., Soeparmi A. and Sunarno W. (2016)., Student conception and perception of newtonís law., AIP Conference Proceedings., 1708, 070005 (2016); doi: 10.1063/1.4941178
- Martin-Blas T., Seidel L. and Serrano-Fernandez A. (2010)., Enhancing force concept inventory diagnostics to identify dominant misconceptions in first-year engineering physics., European Journal of Engineering Education, 35(6), 597-606.
- Antwi V., Hanson R., Savelsbergh E.R. and Eijkelhof H.M.C. (2011)., Studentsí understanding of some concepts in introductory mechanics course: A study in the first year university students, UEW., International Journal of Educational Planning and Administration., 1(1), 55-80.
- Igal Galili and Yaron Lehavi (2007)., Research Report: Definitions of physical concepts: A study of physics teachersí knowledge and views., International Journal of Science Education., 28(5), 521-541, http://www.tandf-online.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0950069970190107.VWfgs9JViko.
- Redish F. and Steinberg Richard N. (1999)., Teaching physics: Figuring out what works., ERIC, http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED439012.pdf. Retrieved 15/5/2016.
- Cruz I. (2014)., The STEM strand., MINI CRITIQUE, The Philippine Star, http://www.philstar.com/education-and-home/2014/07/03/1341906/stem-strand. Retrieved 12/10/2015.
- Pollock and Finkelstein (2010)., A physics departmentís role in preparing physics teachers: The Colorado learning assistant model., American Journal of Physics, 78(11). http://www.colorado.edu/education/sites/default/files/attached-file/Otero_Pollock_Finkelstein.pdf. Retrieved 23/7/2015
- Resurreccion and Adanza J. (2015)., Spiral progression approach in teaching science in selected private and public schools., Presented at the DLSU Research Congress 2015 De La Salle University, Manila, Philippines 2nd-4th, March, 4-5.
- Luz (2013)., The future of philippine education, educating for a philippine., Future Center for Development Management Asian Institute of Management., http://gpcci.org/home/wpcontent/uploads/2013/07/FUTURISTICS-PRES-JML-Future-of-P, Retrieved 8/9/2015.
- Orleans A. (2007)., The Condition of secondary school physics education in the philippines: Recent developments and remaining challenges for substantive improvements., The Australian Educational Researcher, 34(1).
- Tomar and Achary (2016)., Science education and psychology., Research Journal of Educational Sciences., 4(4), 1-10.
- Wilson S.M. (2006)., Theories of learning and teaching what do they mean for educators?., University and Penelope L. Peterson Northwestern University, http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED495823.pdf. Retrieved 17/7/2015.
- ÷zmen H. (2004)., Some student misconceptions in chemistry: A literature review of chemical bonding., Journal of Science Education and Technology, 13(2), 147-159.
- Tria G, Limpingco L. and Jao Loreto (1999)., Psychology of Learning., KEN INC, ISBN 971-8558-36-5.
- Rizzi Anthony (2015)., Nature of physics, modern and ancient., Institute for Advanced Physics, www.iapweb.org/ nature_of_physics.pdf, Retreived, 24/8/2015.
- O, Wishful physicsĖsome common misconceptions about InGaN., Physica Status Solidi (a), 195(3), 532-536.
- Kizilcik H.S., Celikkanli N.O. and Gunes B. (2015)., Change of physics teacher candidatesí misconceptions on regular circular motion by time., Electronic Journal of Science and Mthematics Education., 9(1), 205-223
- Sesen B.A. and Elif I.N.C.E. (2010)., Internet as a source of misconception:\\\" Radiation and radioactivity\\\"., The Turkish Online Journal of Educational Technology, 9(4).
- Kaltakci D. and Didis N. (2007)., Identification of preservice physics teachersí misconceptions on gravity concept: A Study with a three tier misconception test., Sixth International Conference on The Balkan Physical Union, American Institute of Physics, doi: 10.1063/1.2733255.
- Fuentes S., Bloom M. and Peach H. (2014)., Teaching Science and Mathematics: Pressure Teachersí perception of Knowledge Needs., Journal of College Science Teaching., 43(3).
- Wieman C. and Gilbert S. (2015)., Taking as scientific approach to science education Changing, Part II-teaching., Microbe., 10(4), 203-207
- Halim L., Yong T.K. and Meerah T.S.M. (2014)., Overcoming studentsí misconceptions on forces in equilibrium: An action research study., Creative Education, 2014.
- Kreetha k. et. al. (2010)., Thai high-school students, Phys. Educ., 45-97, doi:10.1088/0031-9120/45/1/012.
- Demirci N. and Cirkinoglu A. (2004)., Determining Students, Journal of Turkish science education, 1(2), 51.
- Huey‐Por Chang (2007)., Investigating primary and secondary studentsí learning of physics concepts in taiwan., International Journal of Science Education, 29, 4, 465-482, http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/095 006 90601073210
- Larkin T.L. (2011)., Assessment of Studentsí Understanding in Physics an Integrated Qualitative and Quantitative Approach., https://www.researchgate.net/ publication/289955979, Retrieved 7/26/15
- Saint- Hilaire L. (2013)., Using writing and culture to teach science content preservice teachers., Journal of College Science Teaching., 42(6), 44-49.
- Otfinowski R. and Silva-Opps M. (2015)., Writing toward scientific identity: Shifting from prescriptive to reflective writing in undergraduate biology., Journal of College Science Teaching., 45(2) 19-23.
- McDErmott M. and Kuhn M. (2011)., Using writing for alternative audiences in a college integrated science course., Journal of College Science Teaching., 41(1), 40-45.