Science, Science Education and Cognitive Psychology
- 1Navrachana University, Vadodara, Gujrat, India
- 2Navrachana University, Vadodara, Gujrat, India
Res. J.Educational Sci., Volume 4, Issue (4), Pages 1-10, April,1 (2016)
“Everyone has two eyes but no two people view the world in a similar manner” During the 1950s and 1960s, educator Joseph Schwab (as cited in BSCS 2009)1observed that science was being driven by a new vision of scientific inquiry. In Schwab’s view, science was no longer a process for revealing stable truths about the world, but instead it reflected a flexible process of inquiry. He characterized inquiry as either “stable” or “fluid.” Stable inquiry involved using current understandings to “fill a … blank space in a growing body of knowledge.” Fluid inquiry involved the creation of new concepts that revolutionize science. In the current paper the authors would like to highlight the meaning of science through objectivist and cognitivist lens. Authors would like to present the nature of science and the processes involved in learning of science. Authors would further like to focus on how the processes, background, experience and exposure of an individual help in interpreting the same data
- BSCS (2009)., The Biology Teachers., handbook 4th edition USA: NSTA press. http://books.google.co.in /books? Retrieved November 2011
- Henry Poincare (1905)., Science and hypothesis, hypothesis in physics., London: Walter Scott publishing http://www.brocku.ca/meadproject/poincare-1905-10.html
- William F. Mc Comas (2002)., The nature of science in International science education standards., New York: Kluwer academic publishers. http://www. ebookskluweronline.com
- Umashree P (1999)., Science Curriculum and its transaction: An exploratory study in secondary schools of Baroda, Gujarat., An unpublished Ph.D Thesis, CASE, The M.S. University of Baroda. Vadodara
- Malhotra P. (2006)., Methods of teaching Physics., New Delhi: Cresent publishing corporation.
- Rao D.B. (2008)., Science Process skills of School students., New Delhi: Discovery publishing house.
- Winnie Wing Mui So (2002)., Constructivist teaching in primary science Asia Pacific forum on science learning and teaching, 3(1), Article 1 http://www.ied.edu.hk /asfslt/v3_issue1/sowm3.htm, undefined
- Science A.A. (1989)., Science for All Americans., Retrieved December 2015, from The Nature of Science: http://www.project2061.org/publications/sfaa/online/chap1.htm
- Andreas Sofroniou (2015)., Philosophy and politics., Published by lulu.com. http://booksgoogle.co.in/ books?isbn=1326338544 retrieved on 17th November 2015
- Kuhn T. (1962)., The Structure of Scientific Revolution., Retrieved November 2015, from https://www.uky.edu /~eushe2/Pajares/Kuhn.html
- Bryanjack (2012)., Thoughts on Begining Epistemology., Retrieved October 2015, from talonsphilosophy. wordpress.com: https://talonsphilosophy.wordpress.com /2012/11/05/thoughts-on-beginning-epistemology
- Thelemapedia (2005)., Paradigm., www.thelemapedia.org/ index.php/paradigm retrieved in October 2014.
- Paulo Joao Maia (1992)., The logic of scientific discovery, “Philosophy of Rhetoric of Science” http://www. academia.edu/3306422/the_logic_of_scientific_discovery_pdf pp 61-66
- Angele Attard (2010)., Student centered learning on insight into theory and practice UNESCO., Bucharest. www.esu-online.org/pageassets/projeects/projectarchive 2010-t4scl-stakeholders-forum-leuven-an insight-into-theory-and-practice.pdf retrieved July 2012.
- Orey, M. (2010)., Emerging Perspective on Learning, Teaching and Technology., Retrieved December 2015, from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download? doi=10.1.1.473.7238&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Moyer R.H., Hackett J.K and Everett S.A. (2007)., Teaching science as investigation: Modeling inquiry through learning cycle lessons., New Jersey: Pearson Merill/ Prentice Hall.
- Atkin J.M. and Karplus R. (1962), Discovery or Invention., The science teacher. 29(5), 45-51
- Attila CIMER (2007)., Effective teaching in science: A Review of related literature., Cited Trowbridge et al (2007) to support knowledge construction by students. www.tused.org/internet/tused, Journal of Turkish science education. Retrieved October 2010. 4(1), 20-44.
- Barman and Kotar (1989)., The learning Cycle science and curriculum., New York: Macmillan publication, 30-32
- Hackett J.K and Moyer R.H. (1991)., Science in your World.,, New York: Macmillan/Mc Graw-Hill
- BSCS (1992), Science for life and living: Integrating Science technology and health., Dubugue. IA: Kendall/Hunt publishing company.
- Bybee R.W. (1997)., In learning cycle., (2010) Retrieved on September 2010. http:// books.google.com/books?
- William B.Ware, John M. Newell and R. Emile Jester (1973)., The role of behavioural objectives:, A Response to A.W Combs cited kneller. 1972. www.ascd.org/ ASCD/pdf/journals_lead/el_197304_ware.pdf.
- Piajet J. (1972)., To understand is to invent., New York: The Viking press.Inc.
- Ajaja O.P (2013)., Which way do we go in the teaching of Biology, Concept mapping, cooperative learning or learning cycle?, Cited king 1998 in International Journal of Science and Technology Education Research. 4(2) www.academicjournals.org/IJSTER 18-29
- Vygotsky L.S. (1978)., Minds in Society Cambridge., M.A. Harward University Press.
- Baser E.T. (2008)., Cited in Pulat S. (2009) Impact of 5E cycle on sixth grade students mathematics achievement and attitude towards mathematics., M.Sc Thesis of Middle east technical University.
- Pulat S. (2009)., Impact of 5E cycle on sixth grade students mathematics achievement and attitude towards mathematics., M.Sc Thesis of Middle East technical University.
- Lee C.A. (2003)., A learning cycle into plant nutrition., The American Biology Teacher, 65 (2) 136-144.
- Lord T.R. (1999)., A comparison between traditional and constructivist teaching in environment science., The journal of Environmental Education.30 (3):22-28
- Nuhoglu H. and Yalkin, N. (2006)., The effectiveness of the learning cycle model to increase students achievement in the physics laboratory., Journal of Turkish Science Education. 3(2) 28-30.
- Wilder M.S and Shuttle worth P. (2004)., Cell Inquiry: A 5E learning cycle lesson., Science and children, 29(2), 30-32.
- Ajaja O.P. (1998)., An Evaluation of differential effectiveness of Ausubel., Bruner and Karplus method of teaching biology in Nigerian Secondary Schools Ph.D Thesis of University of Benin