Families Attitudes towards Science and Science Education
- 11Ataturk University, Education Faculty, Elementary Science Department, Erzurum, Turkey
- 22Kafkas University, Education Faculty, Elementary Science Department, Kars, Turkey
- 33Mus Alparslan University, Education Faculty, Elementary Science Department, Mus, Turkey
- 44Siirt University, Education Faculty, Elementary Science Department, Siirt, Turkey
Res. J.Educational Sci., Volume 4, Issue (3), Pages 1-6, March,1 (2016)
It is important for todays education to assimilate and relate science with daily life. New education systems aim to raise individuals in this aspect. If it is about individuals then social environment includes itself into education process. Since families are the most small unit in social environment and eventually families are involved in educational process more than before. Thus the idea to investigate families’ influence on education is becoming one of the crucial elements in education dynamics. In the light of this philosophy it is assumed that families affect their children’s attitudes towards science and science courses. Thus main aim of this study is to investigate attitudes of families’ towards science and science courses. To obtain the required data families are given a questionnaire which is consisted by 30 questions. Families’ demographic data is also obtained through study and in addition to main problem; four sub-problems are determined and also investigated. For the analyzes of the data; reliability analyzes of the questions are done through Cronbach alpha values. Relations among items are determined through Spearman’s correlation method, frequency table and ratio table is also done. Factor analyzes are also done the statistical values of the sub-problems.
- Dogan I. (1990). , Toplumsal Ilk Cevre Olarak Ailenin Çocuk Üzerinde Degisen Etkisi. Ankara:, Silahlu Kuvvetler Dergisi (326), 120–137.
- Senemoglu N. (2005). , Geligim ögrenme ve ögretim, Gazi kitabevi, Ankara,, Turkey, 86-88. ISBN: 9799758640064
- Akgün S. (2001). , Ilkögretim kurumlarinda fen ve tabiat bilgisi,, Pegem yayincilik, Ankara, Turkey, 7-17.
- Niu S.X. (2015). , Leaving Home State for College: Differences by Race/Ethnicity and Parental Education, Research in Higher Education. 56(4), 325-359.
- Bergman F. (1990). , Needs Assessment for Parent Education (Unpublished Master Thesis)., Istanbul üniversitesi, bogaziçi sosyal bilimler enstitüsü, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Sendil G. and Balkan I.K. (2006). , Anne-baba olmak, Morpa kültür yayinlari, Istanbul,, Turkey, 66-69. ISBN: 9752843514
- Vural B. (2004). , Okul basarisinda ailenin rolü ve önemi, Hayat yayinlari, Istanbul,, Turkey, 7-17.
- Wang J and Wildman L. (1994). , The effect of family commitment in education on student achievement in seventh grade mathematics., Education, 115(2), 317-320
- Purewal N. and Hashmi N. (2015). , Between returns and respectability: parental attitudes towards girls’ education in rural Punjab, Pakistan., British Journal of Sociology of Education, 36(7), 977-995. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/ 01425692.2014.883274
- Caro D.H., Cortina K.S. and Eccles J.S. (2015). , Socioeconomic background, education, and labor force outcomes: evidence from a regional US sample., British Journal of Sociology of Education. 36 (6), 934-957. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/01425692.2013.868784