Geochemical evaluation of groundwater origin using source rock deduction and hydrochemical facies at Umuoghara Mining Area, Lower Benue Trough, SE Nigeria
- 1Department of Geology, Faculty of Science Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Nigeria
- 2Department of Geology, Faculty of Science Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, Nigeria
- 3UZGIB Integrated Services, Lagos Nigeria
Int. Res. J. Earth Sci., Volume 6, Issue (10), Pages 1-11, October,25 (2018)
The research is aimed at geochemical evaluation of the origin of groundwater at Umuoghara area. The parameters listed below were analyzed following APHA, 2012 standard: pH, EC, TDS. Cations; (magnesium) Mg2+, potassium (K+), calcium (Ca2+) while anions; bicarbonate (HCO3-), chloride (Cl-) and sulphate (SO42-). Twelve groundwater samples were collected within the study, with the aim to get baseline information regarding source of groundwater origin. This was done using source rock deduction proposed by Hounslaw, 1995 and hydrochemical facies (Gibbs, Piper, Durov, Schoeller plots and Slotan classification). From source rock deduction approach it was observed that weathering played a major role in groundwater chemistry. Gibbs plot showed that rock water interaction is has greater influence on groundwater chemistry, from Piper plot the dominant ions are; Ca2+, Cl- and SO42- , dominant ions in Durov are; Ca2+, Cl- and SO42-, from Schoeller diagram water trend of Ca2+ > Mg2+ > Cl- > SO42- > Na+ + K+ > HCO3-. From Piper, Durov and Schoeller. From detailed interpretation, it was observed that groundwater origin is of different source. Soltan classification, it was observed that groundwater source is of deep meteoric.
- Appelo C.A.J. and Postma D. (1996)., Geochemistry, groundwater and pollution: Third corrected print, A.A. Balkema Publishers, Netherlands., undefined
- Omo-Irabor O.O. and Olobaniyi S.B. (2007)., Investigation of the Hydrological Quality of Ethiope River Watershed, Southern Nigeria., Journal of Applied Science Environment Management, 11(2), 13-19.
- Jong Yeon Hwang, Sunhwa Park, Hyun-Koo Kim, Moon-Su Kim, Hun-Je Jo, Ji-In Kim, Gyeong-Mi Lee, In-Kyu Shin and Tae-Seung Kim (2017)., Hydrochemistry for the Assessment of Groundwater Quality in Korea., Journal of Agricultural Chemistry and Environment, 6, 1-29.
- Hounslaw W. (1995)., Water Quality Data: Analysis and Interpretation., CRC Press, Boca Raton, 71-127.
- Eyankware M.O. and Eyankware R.O. (2015)., Environment Degradation on Land in Enyigba with Reference to Artisan Lead-Zinc Miner in South Eastern Nigeria., Journal of Multidisciplinary Scientific Research, 3(3), 32-34.
- Eyankware M.O. (2016a)., Hydrochemical Appraisal of Groundwater for Irrigation Purpose: A Case Study of Ekaeru Inyimagu and its Adjoining Area, Ebonyi State, Nigeria., Indian Journal of Science, 23(88), 924-943.
- Eyankware M.O., Obasi P.N. and Akakuru O.C. (2016b)., Use of hydrochemical Approach in Evaluation Water Quality around the Vicinity of Mkpuma Ekwaoku Mining District, Ebonyi State, SE. Nigeria for Irrigation Purpose., Indian Journal of Science, 23(88), 881-895.
- Eyankware M.O., Selemo A.O.I. and Omo-Irabor O.O. (2017c)., Hydrogeochemical Assessment of Ground and Surface water of Eruemukohwarien Community and its Environs for Domestic and Irrigation purpose, Western Niger Delta Region, Nigeria., Journal of Science and Technology, 3(10), 91-108.
- Eyankware M.O. (2017a)., Hydrogeochemical Evaluation of Groundwater for Irrigation Purposes in Mining Areas of Umuoghara Near, Abakaliki, SE. Nigeria., Science and Technology, 3(9), 1-19.
- Eyankware M.O., Akudinobi B.E.B. and Akakuru O.C. (2017b)., Quality assessment and hydrochemical characteristics of groundwater in Ughelli and its adjoining area for irrigation purpose, Niger delta region, Nigeria, . Science and Technology, 3(10), 120-134.
- Eyankware M.O., Nnajieze V.S. and Aleke C.G. (2018)., Geochemical Assessment of Water Quality for Irrigation Purpose, in Abandoned Limestone Quarry pit at Nkalagu area, Southern Benue Trough Nigeria., Environ Earth Sci., 77, 66. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-018-7232-x.
- Murat R.C. (1972)., Stratigraphy and Paleogeography of the Cretaceous and late Tertiary in Southern Nigeria, . African Geology. University of Ibadan press Nigeria. 251-266.
- Hoque M. (1977)., Petrographic Differentiation of Tectonically Controlled Cretaceous Sedimentary cycle Southeastern Nigeria., Sedimentary Geol., 17, 235-245.
- Nwajide C.S. (2013)., Geology of Nigeria's Sedimentary Basin, . CSS. Bookshops Ltd Lagos, 565.
- Benkhelil J. (1989)., The origin and evolution of the Cretaceous Benue Trough (Nigeria), . Journal of African Earth Sci., 8, 251-282.
- Reyment R.A. (1965)., Aspects of Geology of Nigeria., Ibadan University Press; 145.
- Farrington J.L. (1952). A Preliminary Description of the Nigerian Lead Zinc Field. Economic Geology, 47, 583-608., undefined, undefined
- Agumanu A.E. (1989)., The Abakaliki and Ebonyi Formations: sub-divisions of the Albian Asu River Group in the Southern Benue Trough, Nigeria., Journal of African Earth Sciences, 9(1), 195-207.
- American Public Health Association (APHA) (2012). Standards methods for the examination of water and wastewater., 22nd edn. American Public Health Association (APHA), American Water Works Association (AWWA) and Water Environment Federation (WEF), New York., undefined, undefined
- Gibbs R.J. (1970)., Mechanisms controlling world water chemistry., Science, 170(3962), 1088-1090.
- Soltan M.E. (1999)., Evaluation of groundwater quality in Dakhla Oasis (Egyptian Western Desert), . Environmental Monitoring Assessment, 57, 157-168.
- Lakshmanan E., Kannan R. and Kumar M.S. (2003)., Major Ion Chemistry and Identification of Hydrochemical Processes of Groundwater in a Part of Kancheepu- ram District, Tamil Nadu, India., Environmental Geoscience, 10, 156-166.
- Narsimha A. and Sudarshan V. (2018). Geochemical characterization and evaluation of groundwater suitability for domestic and agricultural utility in semi-arid region of Basara, Telangana State, South India. Applied Water Science,8:44., undefined, undefined