Performance of seismic detectors: a case study of the sensitivity of SM-4 geophones used in Nigeria
- 1Department of Earth Sciences, Federal University of Petroleum Resources Effurun, P.M.B.1221, Warri, Nigeria
- 2Department of Earth Sciences, Federal University of Petroleum Resources Effurun, P.M.B.1221, Warri, Nigeria
Int. Res. J. Earth Sci., Volume 5, Issue (8), Pages 32-40, September,25 (2017)
A vibration test was conducted on a typical SM-4 Geophone used for seismic data acquisition in Nigeria to determine its sensitivity which is important for high-resolution seismic exploration. The Geophone planted in a sand box, picked up mechanical vibrations of different frequencies generated using a signal generator. Weak signals were enhanced and the range of signals compressed by an amplifier connected to the Geophone. These signals were displayed on a high resolution Cathode Ray Oscilloscope and the velocity (m/s), voltage (V) and resistance (&
- Duijndam B.P.M. and Wiersma H. (1990)., System Identification Method Applied to Seismic Detectors., SIPM Paper, Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG), U.S.A., 903-905.
- Hagedoorn A.L., Kruithof E.J. and Maxwell P.W. (1988)., A practical set of Guidelines for Geophone Element Testing and Evaluation., First Break, 6(10), 325-331.
- Krohn C.E. (1984)., Geophone Ground Coupling., Geophysics, 49(6), 722-732.
- Krohn C.E. (1985)., Geophone Ground Coupling., Leading Edge, 4(4), 56-60.
- SENSOR Nederland B.V. (2006)., SM-4 Geophone Element., Input Output Sensor, Nederland.
- Donato R.J. (1971)., Comparison of three methods for calibrating a Wilmore geophone., Bull. Seism. Soc. Am, 61(3), 641-648.
- Sheriff R.E. (2002)., Encyclopedic Dictionary of Applied Geophysicists., 4th Edition, Geophysical Reference Series, Society of Exploration Geophysics, USA.
- Faber K. and Maxwel P.W. (1997)., Geophone Spurious Frequency: What is it and how does it affect Seismic Data Quality?., Canadian Journal of Exploration Geophysics, 33(1-2), 46-54.
- Telford W.M., Geldart L.P. and Sheriff P.E. (1990)., Applied Geophysics., 2nd Edition, Cambridge University Press: New York, USA. 860. ISBN 978-0-521-32693-3
- Halliburton Geophysical Services (1990)., The Effect of Geophone Tolerances on the Fidelity of the Total Seismic System., Halliburton Geophysical Services Inc. USA. http://www.halliburton.com/