Appraisal of incrustation and corrosive properties of groundwater in industrial belt of Bonai Area, Odisha, India
- 1Department of Geology, M.P.C. Autonomous College, Baripada, Orissa, India
Int. Res. J. Earth Sci., Volume 5, Issue (7), Pages 17-20, August,25 (2017)
The present paper aims at assessing the incrustation and corrosive properties of ground water for industrial uses in mining belts of Bonai area. The quality requirement for water used in the mining industry is highly variable, depending on the stage at which it is required i.e. whether during mining, flotation, leaching, smelting or refining operations or for water supply to industrial township. Many mining and mineral based industries are located in the study area. The study indicates that on the basis of criteria such as pH, EC, HCO3-, Cl-, SO42- and Fe2+ etc. 76.27% of water have corrosive properties and 21.43% of water have incrusting property. On the basis of Langelier Index 85.59% of ground water is generally corrosive. Only 10.17% of water have incrusting property and 4.24% of waters are neither corrosive nor incrusting. The water will have adverse effects on mine machinery, Iron pipes, casing pipes of tube well etc. Hence, the following remedial measures are to be taken to control or prevent the incrustation and corrosion. Treatment of incrusting materials with HCl, Chlorine and dispersing agents like Sodium hexa-metaphosphate Na(PO3)6. Use of corrosion resistant materials like brass, stainless steel, PVC material and epoxy-banded fiber glass and application of protective coating to metal parts.
- Mogg Joe L. (1972)., Practical corrosion and Incrustation Guidelines for water wells., Ground water, 10(2), 6-11.
- Gabas Garcia S., lastoria G. and Guilherme Henrique C. (2015)., Hydrochemistry Applied to Water Supply System : A case study from a Brazilian Urban area., Engineering Geology for society and Territory, Springer, Cham. 5, 1365-1368.
- Haritosh A.K, Kaushik C.P., Kaushik A. and Yadav A.K. (2008)., Suitability Assessment of groundwater for drinking, irrigation and Industrial use in some north India villages., Environ. Monit Assess, 145, 397-406.
- Chen S. and Gui H. (2016)., Quality Assessment and Hydrogeochemical characteristics of Ground water from coal bearing aquifer in Sunan Coal Mine, Anhui Province, China., Nature Environment and Pollution Technology, 15(4), 1341-1346.
- Raghunath H.M. (1987)., Groundwater., Wiley Eastern Ltd, New Delhi, 1-504. ISBN:81-224-1904-6.
- Karanth K.R. (1987)., Ground Water Assessment development and management., Tata McGrow Hill, New Delhi, 1-720. ISBN-13:978-0-0-07-451712-3.
- Water Environmental Federation and American Public Health Association (2005)., Standard Methods for the examination of water and waste water., 21st Edn, American Public Health Association, Washington, 1-467.
- Houben Georg J. and Weihe Ulrich (2010)., Spatial distribution of Incrustations around a water well after 38 years of use., Ground water, 48, 53-58.
- Aghazadeh N., Chitsazan M. and Golestan Y. (2016)., Hydrochemistry and Quality Assessment of Groundwater in the Ardabil area, Iran., Applied Water Science, doi : 10.1007 / S13201–016–0498-9, 1-18.
- Hau W., Jie C., Hui Q. and Xuedi Z. (2015)., Chemical characteristics and Quality Assessment of Ground watter of exploited quibers in Beijiao water source of Yinchuan, China : A case study for Drinking, Irrigation and Industrial purposes., Jou. Chem., 1-14.
- Rao Subba N., Vidyasagar, G., Bhanumurthy P. and Rao Surya P. (2017)., Chemistry and Quality of Ground water in a coastal region of Andhra Pradesh, India., Appl. Water sc, 7(1), 285-294.
- Marghade Deepali, Malpe D.B. and Zade A.B. (2011)., Geochemical characterization of Groundwater from Northern part of Nagpur Urban, Central India., Environmental Earth Science, 62, 1419-1430.
- Drever J.I. (1998)., The Geochemistry of natural waters., New York : Prentice Hall, 1- 379.
- Rao Nageswara P.V., Rao Appa S. and Rao Subha N. (2015)., Suitability of Groundwater quality for drinking, irrigation and Industrial purposes in the Western Delta Region of the River Godavari, Andhra Pradesh., Gol. Soc. India, 86(2), 181-190.
- Naqvi S.M. and Rogers J.W. (1987)., Pre-Cambrian Geology of India. Oxford Monographs on Geology and Geophysics., Oxford University Press Inc., 1-233.
- Prasanth R.S., Remya J. and Kumar Binoj B. (2015)., Appraisal of Groundwater Quality Around two International Tourism Destinations, Kovalam and Vizhinjam, Tiruvantapuram, Kerala India., Nature Environment and Pollution Technology, 14(2), 307-312.
- Raj D. and Kumar Binoj R.B. (2015)., Judgement of Ground water quality around Trivendrum Civil Station, Kerala, India: AGIS Based Approach., Nature Environmentt and Pollution Technology, 14(1), 157-160.
- Sahu P.C. (2017)., Ground water Resource conservation and Augmentation in Hardwork Terrain: An Integrated Geological and Geospatial Approach., Int. Jour. Conser. Sc., 8(1), 145-156.