Reserve estimation of limestone deposit in Obiaja area, Southern Benue Trough, Nigeria using integrated approach
- 1Department of Geological Sciences, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka, Nigeria
- 2Department of Geological Sciences, Nnamdi Azikiwe University Awka, Nigeria
- 3Department of Geological Sciences, Federal University Gusau, Nigeria
Int. Res. J. Earth Sci., Volume 5, Issue (7), Pages 1-8, August,25 (2017)
A combination of electrical resistivity survey and borehole data has been employed in reserve estimation of limestone within Obiaja area of southern Benue Trough. The area is bounded by Latitudes 427500mE – 431500mE and Longitudes 567000mN - 571000mN with an area extent of 0.32km2. Vertical electrical sounding (VES) technique was used to delineate the thickness and depth to the top of the limestone, while geochemical analysis was used to estimate the grade of limestone deposit within the study area. Grid pattern was used within the area of the limestone mineralization for obtaining the data. Interpretation of the VES data was done using conventional manual curve matching and computer iteration techniques using IPI2win program. The result of vertical electrical soundings (VES) was correlated with borehole data within the study area. The result of VES shows four-five geoelectric layers consisting of clays with sands, shale, limestone, shaley sandstone and sandstone. Electrical resistivity of the limestone horizon ranges between 35 and 253 &
- Fatoye F.B. and Gideon Y.B. (2013)., Geology and occurrences of limestone and marble in Nigeria., Journal of Natural Sciences Research, 3, 11. www.iiste.org ISSN 2224-3186 (Paper) ISSN 2225-0921 (Online).
- Reijers T.J.A. and Nwajide C.S. (1998)., Geology of the Southern Anambra Basin., Unpublished Report for Chevron Nigerian Limited. Field Course Note 66.
- Okeke P.O. (2002)., Supply of coal for power generation and comparative price analysis of coal: Information supplied to the Honourable Minister of Science and Technology.,
- Reijers T.J.A. and Petters S.W. (1987)., Depositional environment and diagenesis of Albian carbonates in Calabar Flank, Southeastern Nigeria., Journal of Petroleum Geology, 10(3), 283-294. DOI: 10.1111/j.1747- 5457.1987.tb00947.x
- Reijers T.J.A. and Petters S.W. (1997)., Sequence stratigraphy based on microfacies analysis: Mfamosing Limestone, Calabar Flank, Nigeria., Geologie en Mijnbouw, 76(3), 197-215. DOI: 10.1023/A:1003089529914
- Chidomerem T.E. (2004)., Geophysical investigation of the Odukpani Limestone deposit using the vertical electrical sounding technique, southeastern Nigeria., M.Sc. Thesis. University of Calabar, Calabar, Nigeria.
- Adeleye D.R. and Fayose E.A. (1978)., Stratigraphy of the type section of Awi Formation, Odukpani Area, South-Eastern Nigeria., Nigeria Journal of Mining Geology, 15(1), 33-37.
- Ekwere S.J., Esu E.O., Okereke C.S. and Akpan E.B. (1994)., Evaluation of limestones in Obotme Area, (Southeastern Nigeria) for Portland cement manufacture., Nigeria Journal of Mining Geology, 30, 145-150.
- Reynolds J.M. (1997)., An Introduction to Applied and Environmental Geophysics., John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Baffins Lane, Chichester, West Sussex POl9 IUD, England ISBN 0-471-96802-1.
- Loke M.H. (2001)., Electrical imaging surveys for environmental and engineering studies: a practical guide to 2D and 3D surveys., 62. Available at http://www.geoelectrical.com
- Ayolabi E.A., Folorunso A.F., Eleyinmi A.F. and Anuayah E.O. (2009)., Applications of 1D and 2D electrical resistivity methods to map aquifers in a complex geologic terrain of Foursquare Camp, Ajebo, Southwestern Nigeria., Pacific Journal of Science and Technology, 10(2), 657-666.
- Oldenburg D.W. and Li Y. (1999)., Estimating depth of investigation in DC resistivity and IP surveys., Geophysics, 64(2), 403-416.
- Petters S.W. (1982)., Central West African Cretaceous-Tertiary benthic foraminifera and stratigraphy., Paleontographica, 179(1-3), 1-104.
- Petters S.W., Nyong E.E., Akpan E.B. and Essien N.U. (1995)., Lithostratigraphic revision for the Calabar Flank, Southeastern Nigeria., Proceedings of the 31st Annivesary conference of Nigeria Mining and Geosciences Society, Calabar.
- Reyment R.A. (1964)., Review of Nigerian Cretaceous and Cenozoic Stratigraphy., Nig. J. Min. Geol., 2, 61-80.
- Essien N.U. and Ufot D.O. (2010)., Age of the Mfamosing Limestone, Calabar Flank, Southeastern, Nigeria., International Journal of Basic & Applied Sciences, IJBAS-IJENS, 10(5), 8-19.