Environmental Panorama of Sukinda Valley – a critical study
- 1Department of Environmental Science, Sambhu Nath College, Labpur, Birbhum, W.B., India
Int. Res. J. Earth Sci., Volume 5, Issue (11), Pages 34-37, December,25 (2017)
Sukinda Valley of Odisha is well-known for its all-embracing chromite ore deposits. The rate of chromite ore extraction, although mining is being carried out in this region since independence, has been amplified during 1980’s in consequence of its sky-scraping demand and subsequently its surrounding environment is also deteriorating day by day. This study will focus various destructive effects of chromite mining in Sukinda Valley on its immediate surroundings and will try to mitigate these problems as far as possible.
- Dutta K. and Ghosh A.R. (2011)., Physicochemical analysis of waste water coming from different chromite mines in Sukinda Valley Region, Odisha and its management., Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Sustainable Waste Management, ISWMAW, Kolkata, 355-358.
- Dutta K. and Ghosh A.R. (2012)., Comparative study of physicochemical parameters and heavy metals of some groundwater sources from Sukinda Valley Region in Odisha., The Ecoscan, 1, 155-160.
- Dutta K. and Ghosh A.R. (2013)., Limnological status and bioconcentration of some heavy metals in Damsal Nala of Sukinda Valley Region in Odisha and consequent histopathological lesions observed in liver and kidney of air-breathing fish., The Ecoscan, 3, 191-197.
- Dutta K. and Ghosh A.R. (2013)., Comparative study on limnological parameters and bioconcentrations of heavy metals in an air-breathing carnivorous teleostean fish. Gaducia ap. of the upstream and downstream regions of Damsal Nala in Sukinda Valley Region, Odisha., International Journal of Environmental Sciences, 3(6), 1831-1840.
- Dutta K. and Ghosh A.R. (2013)., Analysis of physico-chemical characteristics and metals in water sources of chromite mining in Sukinda Valley, Odisha, India., JEB, 34(4), 783-788.
- Dutta K. (2013)., Impact of Chromite Contamination in the Ground Water, Surface Water, and Bottom Sediment of Damsal Nala of Sukinda Valley Region in Odisha., Ph.D. Thesis, The University of Burdwan, Burdwan, West Bengal, India.
- Dutta K. (2015)., Chromite Mining: Disbalancing the Aquatic Environment of Sukinda Valley., Res. J. of Recent. Sci., 4(IYSC-2015), 80-93.
- Dutta K. and Ghosh A.R. (2015)., Chromite Mining: Poisoning the Environment of Sukinda Valley–A Critical Review., Minenvis, Centre of Mining Environment, ISM, Dhanbad, (India), No.87, 1-3.
- Dutta K. and Ghosh A.R. (2016)., Comparative study on bioaccumulation and translocation of heavy metals in some native plant species along the bank of chromite contaminated Damsal nala of Sukinda Valley, Odisha, India., Int. Res. J. Biological Sci., 5(7), 32-52.
- Dutta K. and Ghosh A.R. (2016)., Comparative study on phytoplankton distribution and bioaccumulation of heavy metals in Microspora sp. of chromite contaminated Damsal nala of Sukinda Valley, Odisha, India., Res. J. Chem. Sci., 6(9), 27-35.
- Dutta K. (2012)., Tourism Vis-à-vis Safe Environment., Proceedings of the National Seminar on Changing Society, Culture and Its Impacts on People, ISBN: 978-81-909878-9-9, Rupasi Bangla Publication, Kolkata, 39-45.
- Dutta K. (2015)., Impact of Mining on Environment: An Overview, Proceedings of the National Workshop on Challenges and Opportunities for Management of Water Supplies in Rural Areas, COMWRA, Key Resource Centre (Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, GOI, New Delhi)., Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, ISM, Dhanbad, India, 161-163.
- Dutta K. (2015)., Human Tide: An Environmentally Induced Migration., Res. J. of Recent. Sci., 4(IVC-2015), 22-24.
- Dutta K. (2017)., Role of Women in Maintaining Environmental Sustainability., Proceedings of the National Conference on Women Empowerment: Challenges and Strategies, ISBN: 978-93-82135-68-5, Arpan Publications, New Delhi, 174-180.