Cause and Solution of the Present Water Crisis in India
- 1Ground Water Expert, Pachpedinaka, Raipur-492001, CG, India
Int. Res. J. Earth Sci., Volume 4, Issue (10), Pages 9-11, October,25 (2016)
Ground water is the most reliable fresh water resources in the world. Irrigation is the largest single user and also polluter of ground water. More than 70% of the ground water exploited every year in the world is used for irrigation. Presently the water use efficiency in India is about 30 % for surface water and 55 % for ground water. The study area of western part of Chhattisgarh state is underlain by hard rock. The yield of aquifer is as high as 18 litre per second. It is intensely cultivated area with bore well irrigation. There is decline of water level leading to drying of dug wells in some of the area and decrease in discharge of the bore wells. The overdependence on ground water for irrigation must be checked. A holistic and inter-disciplinary approach at water related problems is needed to check the declining water level in different parts of the country.
- Government of India (2014)., Guidelines for improving water use efficiency in irrigation, domestic and industrial sectors., CWC, MOWRRD&GR, Government of India, 1-19.
- Planning commission (2011)., Mid-term appraisal, Eleventh five year plan 2007-2012., Planning commission, Government of India, Oxford India Press, New Delhi, 1-473.
- CGWB (2007)., Manual on Artificial Recharge of Ground Water., CGWB, MOWRRD&GR, Govt. of India, pp.1-185.
- Dehadrai P.V. (2016)., Irrigation in India., Fisheris in irrigation systems of arid asia, Fao Corporate Document Repository, 430, http://www.fao.org/docrep/007/y5082e/y5082e08.htm.
- CGWB (2014)., Dynamic Ground water Resources of India., CGWB, MOWRRD&GR, Govt. of India, 1-282.
- HP Police Citizen Portal (2016)., The Indian Easement Act, 1882., http://admis.hp.nic.in/himpol/Citizen/LawLib/C88, September 10.
- Naik P.K. and Mathur R.P. (2014)., Geomorphological study of Sand Dunes with special reference to their Hydrogeology in Southern Coast of Odisha, India., International Research Journal of Earth Sciences, 3(11), 36-40,
- APFMGS (2016)., Demystifying science for sustainable development Andhra Pradesh Farmer Managed Ground Water System Project., http://www.fao.org/nr/water/ apfarms/about.htm, September, 10.