Status of ornamental fish import, research and scope in Nepal
- 1Fishery Research Station, Pokhara, Kaski, Nepal
Res. J. Animal, Veterinary and Fishery Sci., Volume 7, Issue (1), Pages 6-9, May,24 (2019)
In this paper, status of ornamental fish species, its trade and research in Nepal has briefly summarized and also way forward for the future prospects. Annual import of ornamental fish was 318.1 metric ton in 2009 and increased to 1233.0 metric ton in 2017. Imported ornamental fish value was NRs.13.3 million in 2009 and increased to NRs.153.4 million in 2017. Total 43 ornamental fish shops were found in the Kathmandu and Pokhara valley, which sales 27 exotic ornamental fish species. 15 native fish species of Nepal possess attractive color and attributes to be a potential candidates for ornamental fish. These native fish species should be domesticated and its breeding and nursing technologies should be developed. If these species are promoted, the import of ornamental fish could be lessen in the near future.
- Livengood E.J. and Chapman F.A. (2007)., The Ornamental Fish Trade: An Introduction with Perspectives for Responsible Aquarium Fish Ownership., Department of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences; UF/IFAS Extension. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa124.
- Ghosh A., Mahapatra B.K. and Datta N.C. (2003)., Ornamental fish farming - successful small scale aqua business in India., Aqua. Asia, 8(3), 14-16.
- Rani P., Immanuel S. and Kumar N.R. (2014)., Ornamental fish exports from India Performance, Competitiveness and Determinants., Intern. J. Fishe. Aqua. Stu., 1(4), 85-92.
- Dey V.K. (2016)., The global trade in ornamental fish., INFOFISH Intern., 52-55.
- Rajbanshi K.G. (2012)., Biodiversity and distribution of freshwater fishes of Central/Nepal Himalayan Region., NEFIS, 65.
- Petr T., Swar D.B. and Swar S.B. (2002)., The status of cold water fish and fisheries in Nepal and prospects of their utilization for poverty reduction., Cold Water Fisheries in the Trans-Himalayan Countries. FAO Fisheries technical paper 431. FAO, Rome. 79-96.
- FRS (2015)., Aquarium fish culture and management (Leaflet)., Fisheries Research Station (FRS), Pokhara. NARC publication serial no 00151-163.
- Shrestha R.K., Bista J.D. and Shrestha B.K. (2011)., Successful breeding of Goldfish (Carassius auratus) in Pokhara, Nepal., Proceedings of Eighth National Workshop on Livestock and Fisheries Research held at NASRI, Khumaltar, Lalitpur, Nepal, 7-8 June, 2010. NARC, Nepal, 104.
- TEPC (2018)., Export Import Data Bank (Version 1.5): Trade and Export Promotion Centre (TEPC), Pulchowk, Lalitpur, Nepal., http://www.efourcore.com.np/ tepcdatabank/transactionmonthwise.php?txtmode=search (Retrieved on 16/12/2018).
- Shrestha R.K. and Bista J.D. (2009)., An inventory of aquarium fishes of Nepal., Fisheries Research station, Pokhara, 36.
- FRS (2016/17)., Annual Report., Fisheries Research Station (FRS), Pokhara, Kaski, Nepal, 28-30.
- Mahapatra B.K. (2016)., Collection of Indigenous freshwater ornamental fish from wild., In Best Management Practices for Freshwater Ornamental Fish Production. National Fisheries Development Board: Hyderabad, 124-140.
- ICAR-CIFA (2016)., Ornamental Fish Culture., ICAR-Central Institute of Freshwater Aquaculture Indian Council of Agricultural Research, Kausalyaganga, Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India. http://cifa.nic.in/sites/default/ files/ORNAMENTAL%20FISH%20CULTURE_0.pdf
- Mandal S., Mahapatra B.K., Tripathi A.K., Verma M.R., Datta K.K. and Ngachan S.V. (2007)., Agribusiness opportunities of ornamental fisheries in North-Eastern Region of India., Agric. Eco. Res. Rev., 20(Conference Issue), 471-488.
- Umamaheswari T., Jayaraman R. and Felix N. (2017)., Application of costing techniques in ornamental fish culture., Jou.Scient. Res. & Rep., 14(6), 1-10.
- Shrestha A. (2018)., Ornamental fish high in demand., My Republica. http://e.myrepublica.com/epaper/src/epaper. php?id=2782
- Jain A.K. (2016)., An overview of freshwater ornamental fish production industry in India., In Best Management Practices for Freshwater Ornamental Fish Production. National Fisheries Development Board: Hyderabadpp, 10-18.
- Tiwari S. (2016)., Moving up the ladder: poverty reduction and social mobility in Nepal: Full report (English)., Poverty and Equality Global Practice. Washington, D.C.: World Bank Group, 2, 11. http://documents.worldbank.org/ curated/en/938301474378140220/Full-report.