Survey of antimicrobial residue in table EGGS among layer poultry farmers in Maiduguri metropolis, Borno state
- 1Dept. of Animal Health and Production, College of Agriculture Gujba, Damaturu, yobe state, Nigeria
- 2Dept. of Vet. Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Maiduguri, Borno state, Nigeria
- 3Dept. of Vet. Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Maiduguri, Borno state, Nigeria
- 4Dept. of Vet. Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Maiduguri, Borno state, Nigeria
- 5Dept. of Vet. Physiology & Biochemistry, University of Maiduguri, Borno state, Nigeria
- 6Dept. of Vet. Pathology, University of Maiduguri, Borno state, Nigeria
Res. J. Animal, Veterinary and Fishery Sci., Volume 6, Issue (4), Pages 1-8, September,24 (2018)
The objectives of this study is to survey for antimicrobial usage and to assess the antibiotic used pattern among poultry layer farmers in Maiduguri Metropolis Borno state Nigeria. Multistage sampling technique was use together with structured interviewer questionnaire. Coordinates of each farm selected was recorded and map showing spatial distribution of randomly selected farm was constructed. Data were analysed using Statistical package for social science. It was found that majority of the farmers 30 (85.7 %) admitted the use of antibiotic for disease prevention, 29 (82.9 %) of the farmers were not aware of antibiotic residue in table eggs and 34 (97.1 %) of the farmers were not aware of public health effect of antibiotic residue. It was deduce that there is indiscriminate use of most antibiotics in layer farms in Maiduguri Metropolis, There is poor knowledge of drug withdrawal period by farmers and poor awareness on passage of antibiotics from hen to eggs and its public health significance. Prohibited antibiotics for use in food producing animals such as nitrofurans and Chloramphenicol and unapproved antibiotic for use in laying hens such as Sulfonamide, doxycycline, streptomycin, gentamycin and ampicillin are very much in use in the study area. It was recommended that farmer education on the use of antibiotics and its public health implication should be given priority in the study area. Antibiotics being a prescription drug should not be freely sold to farmers over the counter. The established Veterinary Directorate in National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control should ensure the control of importation and subsequent use of antibiotics prohibited for use in food animals.
- Nita K.P. (2007)., Introduction to the Pharmaceutical Sciences., Lippincott, W. and Wilkins, 301-304.
- Geidam Y.A., Usman H., Musa H.I., Anosike F. and Adeyemi Y. (2009)., Oxytetracycline and Procaine Penicillin Residues in Tissues of Slaughtered Cattle in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria., Terrestrial and Aquatic Environmental Toxicology, 3(2), 68-70.
- Darwish W.S., Eldaly E.A., El-Abbasy M.T., Ikenaka Y., Nakayama S. and Ishizuka M. (2013)., Antibiotic residues in food: the African scenario., Japanese Journal of Veterinary Research, 61(Supplement), S13-S22.
- Olufemi O.I. and Agboola E.A. (2009)., Oxytetracycline residues in edible tissues of cattle slaughtered in Akure, Nigeria., Internet Journal of Food Safety, 11, 62-66.
- Bahry S.N., Mahmoud I.Y. and Al-Musharafi S.K. (2013)., The overuse of tetracycline compounds In chickens And Its Impacton human health., J Ala Acad Sci., 77, 152-159.
- Stolker A.A. and Brinkman U.A. (2005)., Analytical strategies for residue analysis of veterinary drugs and growth-promoting agents in food-producing animals--a review., J Chromatogr A., 1067, 15-53.
- Lee M.H., Lee H.J. and Ryu P.D. (2001)., Public health risks: Chemical and antibiotic residues-review., Asian-Australasian Journal of Animal Sciences, 14(3), 402-413.
- Pavlov A., Lashev L., Vachin I. and Rusev V. (2008)., Residues of antimicrobial drugs in chicken meat and offals., Trakia J Sci, 6(1), 23-25.
- Hofacre C.L. (2006)., Antimicrobial drug use in poultry., Antimicrobial Therapy in Veterinary Medicine, (Eds Giguere, S., Prescott, J.F., Baggot, J.D., Walker, R. D. and Dowling, P.M.), 545-554. Blackwell Publishing, Ames, IA.
- Castanon J.I.R. (2007)., History of the use of antibiotic as growth promoters in European poultry feeds., Poultry science, 86(11), 2466-2471.
- Olonitola O.S., Fahrenfeld N. and Pruden A. (2015)., Antibiotic resistanceprofiles among mesophilic aerobic bacteria in Nigerian chicken litterand associated antibiotic resistance genes., Poultry. Science., 94(5), 867-874. doi:10.3382/ps/pev069.
- Adebowale O.O., Adeyemo O.K., Awoyomi O., Dada R. and Adebowale O. (2016)., Antibiotic use and practices in commercial poultry laying hens in Ogun State Nigeria., Rev. Elev. Med. Vet. Pays Trop, 69, 41-45.
- Geidam Y.A., Ibrahim U.I., Grema H.A., Sanda K.A., Suleiman A. and Manzo D.L. (2012)., Pattern of antibiotic sales by Drug stores and usage in poultry farms: a questionnaire-based survey in Maiduguri, North eastern Nigeria., Asian J Anim Vet Adv., 11(16), 2852-2855.
- Jimme M.A., Bashir A. and Adebayo A.A. (2016)., Spatial distribution pattern and Terrain analysis of urban flash floods and inundated areas in Maiduguri metropolis, Borno state, Northeast, Nigeria., Journal of Geography information system, 8, 108-120.
- Haruna T. (2010)., Assessment of the structure of the unemployed in Maiduguri urban, Borno State., B.Sc Geography project summited to the Dept of Geography, Adamawa State University, Mubi.
- Tijjani H., Tijani B.A., Tijjani A.N. and Sadiq M.A. (2012)., Economic analysis of poultry egg production in Maiduguri and environs of Borno State, Nigeria., SJAS, 2(12), 319-324.
- Borno State Water Board (2011)., Spatial pattern of Maiduguri city Reseachers'guide., Adamu joji publishers, 31-32.
- Omeiza G.K., Kabir J., Mamman M., Ibrahim H. and Fagbamila I.O. (2012)., Response of Nigerian farmers to a questionnaire on chloramphenicol application in commercial layers., Vet Ital, 48, 87-93.
- Idowu F., Junaid K., Paul A., Gabriel O., Paul A., Sati N. and Jarlath U. (2010)., Antimicrobial screening of commercial eggs and determination of tetracycline residue using two microbiological methods., International Journal of Poultry Science, 9(10), 959-962.
- Sirdar M.M., Picard J., Bisschop S., Alexander R. and Jambalang B.G. (2012)., A survey of antimicrobial residue in table eggs in Khartoum state, Sudan, 2007-2008., J Vet Res., 79(1), 1-9.
- Mubito E.P, Shahada F., Kimanya M.E. and Buza J.J. (2014)., Antimicrobial use in the poultry industry in Dares-Salaam, Tanzania and public health importance., Am J Res Commun, 2(4), 51-63. ISSN: 2325-4076.
- Flake L. and Ashitey E. (2008)., Ghana: Poultry and Products Annual Report., African Journal Magazine, 3, 16-21.
- Lawal J.R., Saleh M.J., Yaqub A.G., Amina M.B., Yakaka W. and Muhammad M. (2015)., Antibiotic residues in edible poultry tissues and products in Nigeria:A potential public health hazard., Int. J. Anim. Vet. Adv., 7(3), 55-61.
- El-Nasri A., Salman M. and Osman A.M. (2012)., Detection of antibiotic residue in table eggs using disc assay and premi test in Khartoum State, Sudan., J. Vet. Med. Anim. Health, 3(2), 16-27.
- Mubito E.P., Shahada F., Kimanya M.F. and Buza J.J. (2014)., Sulfonamide residues in commercial layer chicken eggs in Dares-Salaam, Tanzania., Am J Res Commun., 2(4), 124-132.
- Bashahun G.M.D. and Odoch A.T. (2015)., Assessment of antibiotic usage in intensive poultry farms in Wakiso District, Uganda., Livest Res Rural Dev, 27, 247. lrrd.org/lrrd27/12/bash27247.html
- Paul N. and Ugouma I. (2015)., Vaccination failure among poultry farmers in Aba Metropolitan City Abia State., Asian Journal of Pharmacy, Nursing and Medical Sciences, 3(4), 2321-3639.
- Annan-prah A., Agbemafle E., Asare P.T. and Akorli S.Y. (2012)., Antibiotic use, abuse and their public health implication: the contributory role of management flaws in the poultry industry in two Agro- Ecological zones in Ghana., J Anim Vet Adv., 2(4), 199-208.
- Goetting V., Lee K.A. and Tell L.A. (2011)., Pharmacokinetics of veterinary drugs in laying hens and residues in eggs: a review of the literature., Journal of veterinary pharmacology and therapeutics, 34(6), 521-556.
- Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) (2012)., Update as at the 35th session. Maximum residue limits for Veterinary drugs in foods.,
- Kabir J., Umoh V.J., Audu-Okoh E., Umoh J.U. and Kwaga J.K.P. (2004)., Veterinary drug use in poultry farms and determination of antimicrobial drug residues in commercial eggs and slaughtered chicken in Kaduna State, Nigeria., Food Control, 15(2), 99-105.
- Ezenduka E.V., Oboegbulem S.I., Nwanta J.A. and Onunkwo J.I. (2011)., Prevalence of antimicrobial residues in raw table eggs from farms and retail outlets in Enugu State, Nigeria., Trop Anim Health Prod., 43(3), 557-559.
- Olatoye I.O., Oyelakin E.F., Adeyemi I.G. and Call D.R. (2012)., Chloramphenicol use and prevalence of its residues in Broiler chickens and eggs in Ibadan., Nigerian Veterinary Journal, 33(4), 643-650.
- Olatoye O. and Kayode S.T. (2012)., Oxytetracycline residues in retail chicken eggs in Ibadan, Nigeria., Food Additives and Contaminants: Part B, 5(4), 255-259.
- Nonga H.E., Simon C., Karimuribo E.D. and Mdegela R. H. (2010)., Assessment of antimicrobial usage and residues in commercial chicken eggs from smallholder poultry keepers in Morogoro municipality, Tanzania., Zoonoses and Public health, 57(5), 339-344.
- Mitema E.S., Kikuvi G.M., Wegener H.C. and Stohr K. (2001)., An assessment of antimicrobial consumption in food producing animals in Kenya., Journal of veterinary pharmacology and therapeutics, 24(6), 385-390.
- Al-Mazeedi H.M., Abbas A.B., Alomirah H.F., Al-Jouhar W.Y., Al-Mufty S.A., Ezzelregal M.M. and Al-Owaish R. A. (2010)., Screening for tetracycline residues in food products of animal origin in the State of Kuwait using Charm II radio-immunoassay and LC/MS/MS methods., Food Additives and Contaminants, 27(3), 291-301.
- Al-Ghamdi M.S., Al-Mustafa Z.H., El-Morsy F., Al-Faky A., Haider I. and Essa H. (2000)., Residues of tetracycline compounds in poultry products in the eastern province of Saudi Arabia., Public health, 114(4), 300-304.
- Al-Wabel N.A. (2011)., Monitoring of tetracycline residues in table eggs collected from qassim region, KSA., J. Agric. Vet. Sci, 4(2), 109-123.
- NAFDAC (1996)., Ban on the use of some antimicrobials in Livestockand Poultry Feeds., National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, Alert No. 10, Lagos.