Studies of Phytoplankton Ecology in Narmada River of West Nimar, MP, India
- 1PMB Gujarati Science College, Indore, MP, INDIA
- 2I.K.D.C., Indore, MP, INDIA
- 3Holkar Science College, Indore, MP, INDIA
- 4PMB Gujarati Science College, Indore, MP, INDIA
- 5Govt. P.G. College, Jhabua, MP, INDIA
Res. J. Animal, Veterinary and Fishery Sci., Volume 2, Issue (4), Pages 13-16, April,24 (2014)
Phytoplankton which are prese nt in a variety of aquatic habitats were studied with respect to their species taken for one complete year (2011 - 2012).The present study was carried out on Narmada river situated in west Nimar of Madhya Pradesh. The plankton were collected, counted and ide ntified by using the method suggested by APHA (1985),Prescott (1969) and fresh water biology. Different class such as Chlorophyceae, Cynophyceae, Tebouxiophyceae, Ulvophyceae and Zygnematophyceae were identified. Ten species of phytoplankton have been coll ected from various freshwater habitats in the West Nimar. Out of 10 genera Cynophyceae (4),Charophyceae (3), Trebouxiophyceae (1), Ulvophyceae (1) and Zygnematophyceae (1).The study among all these phytoplankton Cynophyceae were recorded as a dominant clas s in Narmada river. The study was carried out monthly but was tabulated seasonally by using statical method. Result shows that diversity of species Cynophyceae where 40% Charophyceae 30%, Trebouxiophyceae 10%, Ulvophyceae 10% and Zygnematophyceae 10% were composed.
- Wetzel R.G., Limnology of lake and river ecosystem, 3rd edition,Academic press. San Diego, Central America, 1006 (2001)
- Armitage S., Water quality assessment of river Narmada atM.P., India, American journal of soil and water, 2(4), 7-9(2012)
- Mahajan K.K., Deteriorating nationís rivers in ecology andpollution of Indian rivers (Ed. RK Trivedy), Asian publishinghouse, (1988)
- Bhargava D.S., Tripathi C.P. and Singh N.K., Qualitativeassessment of river Gomti in Lakhnow, Current Science, 92(5),(2007)
- Chohan P. and Kanhere R.R., Diversity of Zooplankton inBarwani tank of West Nimar, M.P., India, Res. J. Animal,Vetenary and Fishery Sci., 1(3), 7-13 (2013)
- Verma D., Kanehere R.R. and Yadav S.N., Studies onphytoplankton related Diversity index of River Narmada (M.P.), India, In Western Zone, Bionanofrontier, 99-103 (2013)
- Sharma S., Solanki C.M., Sharma D. and Pir Z., Distributionand diversity of Zooplankton in (M.P.), India, InternationalJournal of Advanced Research.1 (1)16-21. (2013).
- Pir Z., Tali L., Mudgal L.K., Sharma S. and Siddique A., Evaluation of water quality: Physico chemical characteristics ofRiver Narmada at Madhya Pradesh, India, Researcher, 4(5), 63-67 (2012)
- Alvares C. and Billorey R., Damming the Narmada, Publishedby third world Network, Malaysia, 196 (1988).
- Edmondson W.T., Fresh water Biology, 2nd ed. Jhon Wiley andSens. New York. New York, 1248 (1959)
- . Adoni A.D., Workbook of limnology., Partibha publishers,Sagar, M. P., India(1985).
- Palharya J.P. and Malviya S., Pollution of the river Narmada atHoshangabad in M.P. and Suggested measures for control, Inecology and Pollution of Indian rivers (Ed.R.K. Trivedy), AsianPublishing House, New Delhi, 54-85 (1988)
- Shrivastava S., Limnological studies in the Western zone of theNarmada River with special reference to its water quality, Ph.d.Thesis, D. A. V. V. Indore (1999)
- Lewitus A.J., Koepfler E.T. and Morries J.J., Seasonal variationin the regulation of phytoplankton by nitrogen and grozing in asalt-Marshestuary, Limnology and Oceanography, 43(4), 636-646 (1998)
- Prescott G.W., The algae, A Review, Nelson and Sons Led., NewYork, .416 (1969)