Effects of some insecticidal plants and their application rates on adult mortality and progeny development of Maize Weevil, Sitophiluszeamais (Motsch) in Stored Maize Grain
- 1Department of Plant Science, Bedelle College of Agriculture and Forestry, Mettu University, Ethiopia
- 2Sasakawa Global 2000 Ethiopia, Addis Abeba
- 3Haramaya University, School of Plant Science, Haramaya, Ethiopia
Res. J. Agriculture & Forestry Sci., Volume 9, Issue (3), Pages 19-27, July,8 (2021)
A study was conducted to evaluate the effects of some of insecticidal plants and their rate of application on adult parent mortality and progeny development of maize weevil in infested maize grain. Seven botanicals (Azadirachta indica (neem), Melia azedarach (melia), Parthenium hysterophorus (parthenium), Calpurnia aurea (calpurnia), Vernonia amygdalina (bitter leaf), Carica papaya (papaya) and Dichrocephala integrifolia were tested each at three different rates viz, 2.5, 5 and 10% w/w. Malathion 5% dust at 0.05% as standard check and untreated check were included for comparison. The experiment was laid out in a completely randomized design (CRD) in factorial arrangement and replicated four times. Data on parent mortality and progeny development were collected. Parent mortality was assessed at 3, 10, 17, 24 and 31 days after treatment (DAT). F1 progeny was assessed from 35 to 75 DAT, but data analysis was done for counts after 45 to 65 DAT. The results showed that the F1 progeny development was highly significantly (P≤0.01) affected by the botanicals, while the parent adult weevil mortality was highly significantly (P≤0.01) affected by the botanicals and rate of application. Among the tested botanicals, A. indica caused the highest adult mortality (100%) at variable durations and highly inhibited the F1 progeny development (3.5) at 65 DAT. All of the botanicals showed insecticidal property but the degree of their efficiency varied with the rate of application and duration of storage. D. integrifolia and M. azedarachat 10% w/w resulted in highest cumulative parent weevil mortality (100%). The treatments of D. integrifolia and M. azedarach also resulted in low progeny emergence (7.25 and 6.5, respectively).
- IITA-International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (2009)., Maize crop., http://www.iita.org/maize. Accessed on 4th August 2013.
- Meseret Bekele (2011)., Effect of fermentation on quality protein maize-soybean blends for the production of weaning food., M.Sc. Thesis, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. 75 pp.
- CIMMYT-International Wheat and Maize Improvement Center and IITA-International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (2011)., Maize-Global alliance for improved food security and the livelihoods of the resource poor in the developing world., 4 PP.
- CSA-Central Statistical Authority (2011)., Agricultural Sample Survey: report on area and production of major crops (private peasant holdings, Meher season)., Statistical Bulletin, (1) Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Abraham Tadesse (1991)., The biology, significance and control of the maize weevil, Sitophilus zeamais Motsch., (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) on stored maize., An M.Sc. Thesis Presented to the School of Graduate Studies of Alemaya University of Agriculture. 250pp.
- Rees D. (2004)., Insects of Stored Products., CSIRO Publishing, Australia. 49pp.
- Sahaf B.Z., Moharramipour S. and Meshkatalsadat M.H. (2008)., Fumigant Toxicity of Essential oil from Vitex pseudo-negundo against Triboliumca staenum (Herbst) and Sitophilus oryzae (L.)., Journal of Asia-Pacific Entomology, 11(4), 175-179
- Firdisa Eticha and Abraham Tadesse (1999)., Effects of some botanicals and other materials against the maize weevil (Sitophilus zeamais Motsch.) on stored maize. 9 pp., undefined
- Abraham Tadesse (2003)., Studies on some non-chemical insect pest management options on farm-stored maize in Ethiopia., A Ph.D. Thesis presented to the School of Graduate Studies of Giessen University, Germany. 246 pp.
- Girma Demisse (2006)., Field Infestation by Sitophilus zeamais Motsch. (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) and its Management on stored maize at Bako, Western Ethiopia., An MSc Thesis Presented to the School of Graduate Studies of Alemaya University, Ethiopia. 91pp.
- Semple R. L. (1992)., Related problems to use of insecticides: Towards integrated commodity and pest management in grain storage., FAO Corporate Document Repository.Agriculture and Consumer Protection. 92 pp.
- Adane Kebede and Abraham Tadesse (1995)., Evaluation of some botanicals against the maize weevil, Sitophilus zeamais Motsch. on stored sorghum at Bako., In: Proceeding of the Third Annual Conference of the Crop Protection Society of Ethiopia, 18-19 May 1995, Addis Ababa, Institute of Agricultural Research. Pp.120-126.
- Fikremariam Abebe (2005)., Evaluation of Botanicals and Varietal Resistance against Maize Weevil (Sitophilus zeamais Motsch.) (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) in Stored Maize Grain., An M.Sc. Thesis Presented to the School of Graduate Studies of Alemaya University, Ethiopia. 69pp.
- Saljoqi A.U.R., Munir K. A., Shah A. K. and Sadu R. (2006)., Effects of six plant extracts on rice weevil Sitophilus oryzae in the stored wheat grains., Journal of Agricultural and Biological Science, (1), 1-5.
- Solomon Gebeyehu (1996)., Effect of some botanicals and varietal resistance in the management of Sitophilus spp on stored sorghum., An M.Sc. Thesis Presented to the School of Graduate Studies of Alemaya University. 121 pp.
- Somnuk W. and Sangkhae N. (2001)., Some Insecticidal Plant Extracts for Controlling Maize Weevil, Sitophilus zeamais Motschulsky (Coleoptera: Curculionidae)., Kasetsart Journal of Natural. Science, 35, 259 - 270
- Chifundera K. (1998)., Livestock Diseases and the Traditional Medicine in the Bushi Area, Kivu Province, Democratic Republic of Congo., African Study Monographs, 19(1), 13-33.
- Paulsamy S., Vijayakumar K.K., Murugesan M., Padmavathy S. and Senthilkumar P. (2006)., Ecological status of medicinal and other economically important plants in the Shola under stories of Nilgiris, the Western Ghats., Natural Product Radiance, 6(1), 55-61.
- Chalachew Teshale and Tesfaye Mohammed (2012)., Preliminary phytochemical screening and evaluation of anti-bacterial activity of Dichrocephala integrifolia (L.f) O. kuntze., Journal of Intercult Ethnopharmacol, 1(1), 30-34.
- Pone J. W., Payne, V. K., Mbogning, T. G., Komtangi, M. C., Yondo, J., Ngangout, A. M., M. Mpoame, and Bilong CF Bilong (2013)., In vitro anthilminthic efficacy of Dichrocephala integrifolia (Asteraceae) extracts on the gastro-intestinal nematode parasite of mice: Heligmosomoides bakeri (Nematoda, Heligmosomatidae)., Asian Pacfic Journal of Tropical Biomedicine 3(2), 100–104.
- Abraham Bilum and Abate Bekele (2002)., Storing grains as a survival strategy of small farmers in Ethiopia., Journal of International Agricultural and Extension Education, (9), 777-831.
- Waka, M., Richard J. H. and Chris C. (2004)., Ethno-botanical survey and testing of plants used traditionally against hematophagous insects in Eritrea., Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 95, 95-101.
- Adedapo, A. A., Jimoh, F. O., Koduru, S. K., Afolayan, A. J. and Masika, P. J. (2008)., Admixtures against Sitophilus oryzae (Linn.)., Neem Newsletter, 3(2), 13-14.
- Zorloni A. (2007)., Evaluation of plants used for the control of animal ecto-parasites in southern Ethiopia (Oromiya and Somalia regions)., A Thesis submitted in fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Magister Scientiae, University of Pretoria. 135pp.
- Asawalam E.F. and Hassanali A. (2006)., Constituents of the essential oil of Vernonia amygdalina as Maize Weevil Protectants., Tropical and Subtropical Agro ecosystems, 6:95-102.
- Kabeh J. D. and Jalingo, M. G. D. S. S. (2007)., Pesticidal Effect of Bitter Leaf Plant (Vernonia amygdalina) (Compositae) Leaves and Pirimiphos-methyl on Larvae of Callosobruchus maculatus (Coleoptera: Bruchidae) and Sitophilus zeamais (Coleoptera: Curculionidae)., International Journal of Agriculture and Biology, 3, 452–454.
- Mulungu L. S., Lupenza, G., Reuben, S. O. W. M. and Misengu. R. N. (2007)., Evaluation of botanical products as stored grain protectant against maize weevil, Sitophilus zeamais on maize., Journal of Entomology, 4(3), 258-262.
- Saxena D. S. (2001)., Pesticidal properties of parthenin (Parthenium hysterophorus) and related compounds., Pest Management Science, 57(1), 95-101.
- Umavathi, S. and Manimegalai, M. (2009)., Larvicidal activity of the weed plant Parthenium hysterophous L (Compositae) against Aedesaegypti and Culex quinquefasciatus., International Pest Control, 52(4), 203-205.
- Oudhia, P. (1998)., Parthenium: A curse for the biodiversity of Chhattisgarh plain., In Abstract. National Research Seminar on Bio-chemical Changes. An Impact on Environment, RD Govt. PG College, Mandlaa, MP. Vol. 26.
- Javaid, A., Shafique, S., & Shafique, S. (2007)., Causes of rapid spread of Parthenium hysterophorus L. in Pakistan and possible control measures-a review., Pak J Bot, 39, 2611-2618.
- Melanie W., Ivonne R., Armin B., Carmen B., Taye Tessema, Arunava G., Inga M. and Christian U. (2007)., Insecticidal Effects of Parthenium hysterophorus Extracts Rich in Terpenoids and Phenolic Acids (abstract)., In: Utilization of diversity in land use systems: Sustainable and organic approaches to meet human needs, Tropentag, October 9-11, 2007, Witzenhausen. 112-113.
- Araya Gebresillasie (2007)., Evaluation of powder and essential oils of some botanical plants for their efficacy against Zabrotes subfasciatus (Boheman) (Coleoptera: Bruchidae) on haricot bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) under laboratory condition in Ethiopia., An M.Sc. Thesis Presented to the School of Graduate Studies of Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia. 93pp.
- Ferede Negasi (1994)., Studies on the economic importance and pest control of bean bruchids in haricot bean, Phaseolus vulgaris in Eastern and Southern Shoa., An M.Sc. Thesis Presented to the School of Graduate Studies of Alemaya University of Agriculture. 105pp.
- Stoll, G. (2000)., Natural crop protection in the tropics., Margraf verlage. 2nd ed. Germany. 388 pp.
- Ofuya T. I. (1990)., Oviposition deterrence and ovicidal properties of some plant powders against Callosobruchus maculatus in stored cowpea (Vigna unguiculata) seeds., Journal of Agricultural Science, 115, 343-345.
- El-Atta H.A. and Ahmed A. (2002)., Comparative effects of some botanicals for the control of the seed weevil Caryedon serratus (Olivier) (Coleoptera: Bruchidae)., Journal of Applied Entomology, 126, 577-582.
- Ferdu Azerefegne, Demissew Kitaw and Birhane Abay (2001)., Major insect pests of maize and their management: A review., In: Proceeding of the Second National Maize Workshop of Ethiopia 12-16 November 2001, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. pp. 89-96.
- Asmare Dejene (2002)., Evaluation of some botanicals against maize weevil (S. zeamais) on stored sorghum., Pp. 419-427. In: Abraham Tadesse (ed.) (2008). Increasing crop production through improved plant protection-Volume I. Proceedings of the 14th Annual conference of Plant Protection Society of Ethiopia (PPSE), 19-22 December 2006. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. PPSE and EIAR, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. 598 pp.
- Shaheen F.A. (2006)., Integrated management of pulse beetle, Callosobruchus chinensis L. (Coleoptera: Bruchidae) attacking stored chickpea., Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Arid Agriculture, Rawalpindi, Pakistan. 226 pp.