Variation in density and some strength properties of sapwood and heartwood of Afzelia Africana Sm. ex Pers. and Daniella oliveri (Rolfe) Hutch. and Dalz. in Makurdi, Nigeria
- 1Department of Forest Production and Products, Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, P.M.B. 2373, Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria
- 2Department of Forest Production and Products, Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, P.M.B. 2373, Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria
- 3Department of Forest Production and Products, Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi, P.M.B. 2373, Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria
Res. J. Agriculture & Forestry Sci., Volume 6, Issue (12), Pages 1-6, December,8 (2018)
Structural timber species like A. africana and D. oliveri commonly in use require adequate information of the inherent strength properties and durability to guide end user on applications in design and construction purposes. This study therefore investigated the variation in density, compressive strength perpendicular to grain (CSPG) and compressive strength parallel to grain (CSLG) and Modulus of Rupture (MOR) between the heartwood and sapwood of A. africana and D. oliveri. The study was conducted in Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi. Wood samples were collected from Alaide, Gwer West Local Government Area (LGA) of Benue State. Experimental designs for this study were 2x2x4 factorials in Completely Randomized Designs (CRD) with 4 replicates. There were 2 wood species, 2 wood portions, and 4 replicates. Data was analyzed with Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) and mean was separated with Fisher’s Least Significant Difference (LSD) at p&
- Hickey M. and King C. (2000)., The Cambridge illustrated glossary of botanical terms., Cambridge University Press.
- Ojo A.R., Adebayo S.O. and Ogutuga S.O. (2014)., Site Factor and Intra-Tree Variation in the Density of Borassus aethiopum Mart. Woods in Savannah Zones in Nigeria., Journal of Forestry Research and Management, 11, 99-111.
- Christoforo A.L., Rocco F.A.L., Morales E.A.M., Zangiacomo A.L. and Panzera T.H. (2012)., Influence of Displacement on Calculus of the Longitudinal Modulus of Elasticity of Pinus Caribaea Structural Round Timbers Beams., International Journal of Agriculture and Forestry, 2(4), 157-160.
- Akpan M. (2006)., Studies on physical and mechanical properties of Neem (Azadirachtaindica) A Juss wood in relation to utilization as timber in north eastern Nigeria., Unpublished Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Forestry and Wildlife Management, Federal University of Technology, Yola, Nigeria, 213.
- Stalnaker J. and Harris E.C. (1989)., Structural design in wood., Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 426.
- Kretschmann D.E. and Bendtsen B.A. (1992)., Ultimate tensile stress and modulus of elasticity of fast-grown plantation loblolly pine lumber., Wood and Fiber Science, 24(2), 189-203.
- Arowosege O.G.E. (2010)., Lesser used wood species and their relevance to sustainability of tropical forests., In S. Kolade Adeyoju and S.O Bada (ed) Readings in Sustainable Tropical Forest Management, 305-322.
- Orwa C., Mutua A., Kindt R., Jamnadass R. and Simons A. (2009)., Agroforestree database: a tree species reference and selection guide version 4.0., World Agroforestry Centre ICRAF, Nairobi, KE.
- Gerard J. and Louppe D. (2011)., Afzelia africana Sm. Ex pers. (Internet) Record from PROTA 4U., Lemmens, R.H.M.J., Louppe D. and Oteng Amoako A.A. (Editors). PROTA (Plant Resources of Tropical Africa/Resources Vegetales del´ Afrique tropicale), Wageningen, Netherlands.
- Merela M. and Curfar K. (2013)., Mechanical Properties of Sapwood versus Heartwood in Three Different Oak Species., Drvna Industrija, 64(4), 323-334.
- Taylor A.M., Gartner B.L. and Morell J.J. (2002)., Heartwood formation and natural durability., Wood and Fiber Science, 34(4), 587-611.
- Kumar A. and Dhillon G.P.S. (2014)., Variation of Sapwood and Heartwood Content in Half Sib Progenies of Eucalyptus tereticornis sm., Indian Journal of Natural Product and Resources, 5(4), 338-344.
- ASTM D143 (2009)., Standard for Testing Small Clear Specimens for Timber., Books of Standards, 4(10).
- Adamopoulos S., Chavenetidou M., Passialis C. and Voulgaridis E. (2010)., Effect of cambium age and ring width on density and fibre length of black locust and chestnut wood., Wood Research, 55(3), 25-36.
- Dekort I., Loeffen V. and Baas P. (1991)., Ring width, density and wood anatomy of douglas-fir width different crown vitality., IAWA Bulletin, 12(4), 453-465.
- Schmelzer G.H. and Louppe D. (2012)., Daniellia oliveri (Rolfe) Hutch. and Dalziel., [Internet] Record from PROTA4U. Lemmens, R.H.M.J., Louppe D. and Oteng-Amoako, A.A. (Editors). PROTA (Plant Resources of Tropical Africa / Ressourcesvégétales de l’Afriquetropicale), Wageningen, Netherland.
- Ogunwusi A.A., Onwuala A.P. and Ogunsanwo O.Y. (2013)., Comparative analysis of wood properties of Afzelia Africana and Anogeissus leiocarpus growing in Nigeria., Chemistry and Materials Research, 3(3), 8-12.
- Kayuma I. (2005)., Selected wood properties of the lesser known and lesser sutilized indigenous Agroforestry species from Kilosa District, Tanzania.,
- Bamber R.K. and Fukazawa K. (1985)., Sapwood and variation in the type and quantity of extractives within the heartwood: a review., 46, 567-580.
- Hillis W.E. (1987)., Heartwood and tree exudates., Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York.
- Taylor A.M. (2004)., Environmental effects on heartwood Extractive Content and their Consequences for Natural Durability in Douglas fir and Western Redcedar.,
- Yew P. (2010)., How Aquavive Technologies Solves Wastewater Problems Plus Pitch Control in Pulp and Paper Production. UBCM Management Conference on Water, Storm Water and Wastewater., Management Conference at the Sheraton Wall Centre, Vancouver, B.C. http://www.airhighways.com/prep-paper.htm.
- Ayobi E., Kiaei M. and Bakhshi R. (2011)., Heartwood and sapwood properties of Quercus castaneaefolia in the Iranian Forests., Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research, 8(3), 669-673.
- Curtu I., Sperchez F., Goncier M., Firea R. and Tudor E. (1981)., Calcul de rezistenta in industrialemnului., Edituratehnica, Bucuresti, 398.
- Porter B. (2001)., Carpentery and joinery 3., Butterworth Heinemann Publications, Oxford, 288.
- Kollmann F.P. and Cote W.A. (1968)., Principles of wood science and technology. I., Solid wood. Heidelberg, Berlin, New York, Springer.