Practice of market price information system (MPIS) of non-timber forest products (NTFPs) in Nepal
- 1Mewar University, Rajasthan, India
- 2Faculty of Forestry, Agriculture Forestry University, Hetauda, Makawanpur, Nepal
Res. J. Agriculture & Forestry Sci., Volume 5, Issue (11), Pages 5-11, November,8 (2017)
Normally, demand and supply function determines the price of goods which is monitored and finalized by the government or concerned authority. There is certain formal process of price determination and final price list is either published in online media or print media or displayed publically in notice board. The aim of this study was to identify the practice of market price information system of non-timber forest products in Nepal. The study was conducted in three geographic areas: High Mountain, Hill and Plain area comprising one district from each area. Total 466 usufructs were randomly selected for questionnaire survey and in-depth interview. The study was based on the cross-section descriptive design. The study found that the practice of price fixing and use of market price information system was very informal; people used to collect the information from one to one contact. Some of the organizations related to NTFPs have practiced to display the price list in website but very few visited the website for information because of the lack of trustworthiness in given information so concerned authority should ensure the reliability of information published in online media or displayed in notice board. Income of NTFPs was satisfactory. Usufructs can earn more if MPIS will be more effective.
- Bhatta D. and Rawal R. (2001)., Policy and Regulatory Environment in relation to Jaributi Production in Nepal., National workshop on Non-timber Forest Products. Jaributi, Kathmandu: Ban Udyam-BSP/New ERA-EFEA.
- Government of Nepal (1997)., Flora of Nepal work Plan., Kathmandu: Department of plant resources.
- Peters C., Gentry A. and Mendelssohn R. (1989)., Valuation of an Amazonian rainforest., Nature, 339, 655-656.
- Hegde R., Suryaprakash S., Achoth L. and Bawa K.S. (1996)., Extraction of non-timber forest products in the forests of Biligiri Rangan Hills, India: Contribution to rural income., Economic Botany, 50(3), 243-251.
- Sharmah R., Adhikary D., Majumdar M. and Arunachalam A. (2006)., Indigenous technical knowledge of Lisus with reference to natural resource utilization in the far-eastern villages of Arunachal Pradesh, India., Indian Journal of traditional Knowledge, 5, 51-56.
- Gupta T. and Gularia A. (1982)., Non-wood forest products in India: economic potentials., New Delhi, India: Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. Pvt.Ltd, CMA monograph, 87.
- FAO. (1995)., Non-wood forest products for rural income and sustainable forestry., Rome, Italy.
- Chopra K. (1993)., The value of no-timber forest products: An estimation for tropical deciduous forests in India., Economic Botany, 47(3), 251-257.
- Sharma P. (1995)., Non-wood forest products and integrated mountain development: observations from Nepal., Non-Wood Forest Products (FAO).
- Alexander S.J., McLain R.J. and Blatner K.A. (2001)., Socio-economic research on non-timber forest products in the Pacific Northwest., Journal of sustainable forestry, 13(3-4), 95-103.
- Ambrose-Oji B. (2003)., The contribution of NTFps to the livelihoods of the forest poor: evidence from the tropical forest zone of south-west Cameron., International Forestry Review, 5(2), 106-117.
- Alexander S., Weber N., Brown E. and Rockwell V. (2002)., Mushrooms, trees, and honey. Value estimates of commercial mushrooms and timber in the Pacific Northwest., Envirnmental Management, 30(1), 129-141.
- Negi S.S. (1992)., Minor Forest Products of India., Delhi: Periodical Experts Book Agency.
- Khare A., Sarin M., Saxena N.C., Palit S., Bathla S., Vania F. and Satyanarayana M. (2000)., Joint forest management: policy, practice and prospects., Joint forest management: policy, practice and prospects.
- Vasundhara (2005)., Development Policies and Rural Poverty in Orissa: Macro Analysis and Case Studies., http://planningcommission.nic.in/reports/sereport/ser/stdy_dvpov.pdf.
- Sekhar C., Rai R.S. and Surendra C. (1993)., Price Regime Analysis, Marketing and Trade of Minor Forest Produce., Dehradoon: CMFP.