Effect of Non-Pesticidal Management (NPM) modules against Chilli pests
- 1Entomology Division, Department of Zoology, University College of Science, Osmania University, Hyderabad 500007, Telangana, India
- 2Entomology Division, Department of Zoology, University College of Science, Osmania University, Hyderabad 500007, Telangana, India
Res. J. Agriculture & Forestry Sci., Volume 4, Issue (3), Pages 7-13, March,8 (2016)
Investigations on the effect of NPM modules on the activity of pests of chilli viz., aphids, thrips, mites and fruit borer and yield, economics of NPM and conventional practices, carried out during 2012-213 and 2013-2014 kharif seasons at the Karchal village of Medak District, Telangana state. The experiment was laid out in RBD Randomized Block Design. Among the four NPM modules evaluated. The NPM module –I was found to be the most effective against aphids, thrips, mites and fruit borer H. armigera. In this, Maize as a barrier crop, marigold as a trap crop, Vermicompost 5 t/ha + Neem cake 10 q/ha, with sprays of Neemazal (3ml/l) at 5 and 11WAT (Weeks After Transplanting), Nimaasthram (250 l/ha) at 8 WAT, Agniasthram (6 lit/ha) at 13 WAT were applied , with the result a dry chilli yield 4.13 q/ha was obtained with a net return of Rs. 18,241/-. Whereas, in chemical Intervention, Recommended Dose of Fertilizer (M-IV) recorded a dry chilli yield 3.79 q/ha with a net return of Rs. 11330/-.
- Heiser (1976)., Direct somatic embryo and plant regeneration from embryos in chilli (Capsicum annuum L.)., Plant Science, 89(1), 107-112.
- Vasundararajan M. (1994)., Studies on host plant resistance and biology of chillithrips, Scirtothripsdorsalis Hood., M. Sc. (Agri.) Thesis, Annamalai University, Annamalai, Tamil Nadu (India).
- Krishna Kumar N.K. (1995)., Crop loss estimation due to chilli thrips Scirtothrips dorsalis in bell pepper., Pest Management in Horticulture Ecosystem, 2(4), 93-98.
- Varghese T.S. and Giraddi R.S. (2005)., Integration of neem cake in the plant protection schedule for thrips and mite management in chilli (cv. Byadagi)., Karnataka Journal of Agriculltural Sciences, 18, 154-156.
- Giraddi R.S. and Smitha M.S. (2004)., Organic way of controlling yellow mite in chillies., Spice India, 17:19-21.
- Ramesh P. (2000)., Effect of vermicompost and vermiculture on the damage of sucking pests to groundnut (Arachis hypogea)., Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 70(5), 344.
- Surekha J and Arjuna Rao P. (2000a)., Influence of vermicompost and FYM on the pest complex of bhendi., The Andhra Agricultural Journal, 47, 228-231.
- Mallikarjuna Rao D. and Ahmed (1986)., Effect of synthetic pyrethroids and other insecticides on the resurgence of chilli yellow mite, Polyphagotarsonemus latus Banks., Resurgence of sucking pests. Proceedings of the National Symposium, (Ed.) S. Jayaraj, TNAU, Coimbatore, 73-77.
- Mallikarjuna Rao N., Muralidhar Rao G. and Tirumala Rao K. (1999b)., Efficacy of neem products and their combinations against chilli thrips (Scirtothrips dorsalis Hood)., Pestology, 23, 10-12.
- Mallikarjuna Rao N., Muralidhara Rao G. and Tirumala Rao K. (1999a)., Efficacy of neem products and their combinations against Aphis gossypi Glover ochillies., The Andhra Agricultural Journal, 46, 122-123.
- Srinivas P.S. and Lawande K.E. (2002)., Barrier cropping - a new method for the management of thrips in onion., In: Int. Conf. on Vegetables, November 11-14, Bangalore, India, 237.
- Hussain M.Y. and Samad N.A. (1993)., Intercropping chilli with maize or brinjal to suppress populations of Aphis gossypii and transmission of chilli viruses., Int. J. Pest Manag, 39, 216-222.
- Cerruti R. R. Hooks and Fereres A. (2005)., Protecting crops from non-persistently aphidtransmitted viruses: A review on the use of barrier plants as a management tool., Virus Research, 120(1-2), 1-16.
- Nderitu J., Kasina M. and Malenge (2008)., Evaluation of border cropping system for management of aphids (Hemiptera: Aphididae) infesting okra (Malvaceae), Kenya J. Entomol., 68, 85-96.
- Kibru (2004)., Management of aphids and viruses in Solanum tuberosum, Tigoni, Central Kenya. M. Sc. Thesis, University of Nairobi.
- Wang A.U., Zheng Y., Hai Y.Y. and Yue Y.W. (1998)., Effects of inter planting and mixed sowing of soya and maize on infestation by insects and infection by diseases., Plant Prot., 24(1), 13-15.
- Mohmmad Roff M.N. and Ho B.L. (1991)., Maize as a barrier crop in reducing aphids, the virus vector of chilli., MARDI Res. J., 19(1), 251-258.
- Shivaprasad M. (2009)., Agronomic investigation for yield maximization in chilli through management of leaf curl (murda) complex., Ph. D. Thesis, Univ. Agric. Sci., Dharwad, Karnataka (India).
- Jude Boucher T., Ashley R., Durgy R., Sciarrasi M. and Calderwood W. (2003)., Managing the pepper maggot (Diptera: Tephritidae) using perimeter trap cropping., J. Econ. Entomol., 96(2), 420-432.
- Varma R.G.N. (1994)., Effect of vermicompost in comparison to farmyard manure and recommended chemical fertilizers on the incidence of key pests of chilli., M.Sc. (Agri) Thesis, Punjab Rao Deshmukh Krishividyapeeth, Akola, Maharashtra.
- Mallikarjun Rao N., Muralidhara Rao G. and TirumalavRao D. (1998)., Efficacy of neem products and their combinations against chilli pod borers., Andhra Agricultural Journal, 45(3), 179-181.
- Giraddi R.S., Smitha M.S. and Channappa Goudar B.B. (2003)., Organic amendments for the management of chilli (cv. Byadagi kaddi) insects – pests and their influence on crop vigour., National Seminar on perspective in spices, Medicinal and Aromatic Plants held on 27-29 November, 2003 at Goa, 361- 365.
- Ravikumar (2004)., Evaluation of organic and indigenous products for the management of Helicoverpa armigera (Hubner) in chill, M Sc. (Agri) Thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad.
- Sudhakar K., Punnaih H.C. and Krishnayya P.V. (1998)., Influence of organic and inorganic fertilizers and certain insecticides on the incidence of shoot and fruit borer Leucinodes orbonalis Guene., infesting brinjal. Journal of Entomological Research, 22(3), 283-286.
- Rosaih R. (2001)., Performance of different botanicals against pests complex of bhendi (okra)., Pestology, 25(4), 17-19.
- Shivaramu K. (1999)., Investigations on fruit borer Helicoverpa armigera (Hubner), chilli Ph. D Thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad, 141.
- Shrinivasan K., Krishna moorthy P.N. and Ravi prasad T.N. (1994)., African marigold as a trap crop for the management of the fruit borer, Helicoverpa armigera in tomato., International Journal of Pest management, 40, 56-63.
- Nadaf A.M. (2002)., Testing of IPM modules for the management of Helicoverpa armigera Hubner, chilli. M Sc. (Agri) Thesis, University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharwad.
- Van den berg J., Rebe M., De bruyn J. and Van hamburh H. (2001)., Developing habitat management systems for gramineous stem borers in South Africa., Insect Sci. Appl., 21, 381-388.
- Geoffrey Zehnder (1994)., Integrated pest management in vegetables., Food Reviews International, 10(2), 119-134.
- Osakabe M. and Honda K. (2002)., Influence of trap and barrier crops on occurrence and damage by stink bugs and lepidopterous pod borers in soybean fields., Japanese J. Appl. Entomol. Zool., 46(4), 233-241.